Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding middle name

Options
  • 23-02-2020 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everyone

Our son is five and a half years old and we want to add a middle name to his name. How to go about it ? What’s the process ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ray367 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Our son is five and a half years old and we want to add a middle name to his name. How to go about it ? What’s the process ?

Thanks
    I don’t think you can change his birth certificate. You can probably change by deed poll if you feel the need. Or you can just tell him his middle name is whatever you want it to be, and he’ll never really know any different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

Add it to what? EG Passport, birth cert ? what are you trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ray367

Hi OP

Add it to what? EG Passport, birth cert ? what are you trying to achieve?

On his birth certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A birth certifcate is a record of information at a particular point in time - ie your child's birth.

If you want to amend it, you need to add the change by means of a deed poll, via a solicitor.

I did it years ago, it was a fairly nominal cost at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ray367

Thank you everyone. Just spoke to the birth registration office, she said she’ll send a form today and as an evidence I need to get a letter from GP/School and there’s a €5 charge and she’ll issue an updated birth certificate with the middle name added.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone. Just spoke to the birth registration office, she said she’ll send a form today and as an evidence I need to get a letter from GP/School and there’s a €5 charge and she’ll issue an updated birth certificate with the middle name added.

It’s good you got sorted. It’s a bit mental though, that you’re allowed to amend such an important document.

It’s good you got sorted. It’s a bit mental though, that you’re allowed to amend such an important document.

Advertisement