Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe evening commute Citywest - Kilmainham?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Would anyone have recommendations for a reasonably safe bike commute from Citywest to Kilmainham in the early evening (around 6pm)?

I'd like to avoid the canal as I've already been robbed and beaten there last December.

I don't mind cycling longer distance or uphill, as long as it's safer.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

What route did you take to get to the canal and where on the canal did you get on to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭con747

maltanar wrote: »
    Would anyone have recommendations for a reasonably safe bike commute from Citywest to Kilmainham in the early evening (around 6pm)?

I'd like to avoid the canal as I've already been robbed and beaten there last December.

I don't mind cycling longer distance or uphill, as long as it's safer.

Thanks in advance!

Google maps have a route via Tallaght and Greenhills road and Bluebell. Just google Citywest to Kilmainham for your options.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 maltanar

con747 wrote: »
    Google maps have a route via Tallaght and Greenhills road and Bluebell. Just google Citywest to Kilmainham for your options.

Thanks, I've spent quite a bit of time on Strava already to map out some options (better than Google Maps since it takes route popularity into account).

Via Greenhills Rd, Crumlin and then up through SCR is an option, but I'd avoid Greenhills Rd if I can. It sees quite a bit of traffic, but gets very narrow and invites dangerous close passing from drivers (I've gone that route that a couple of times).

There's a very nice segregated bike path on both sides of R136, which I used to take north to the canal and then take the canal path east to the city. Wondering if avoiding the canal and going east through Ronanstown and then Ballyfermot is a better (or worse) idea?

Thanks, I've spent quite a bit of time on Strava already to map out some options (better than Google Maps since it takes route popularity into account).

Via Greenhills Rd, Crumlin and then up through SCR is an option, but I'd avoid Greenhills Rd if I can. It sees quite a bit of traffic, but gets very narrow and invites dangerous close passing from drivers (I've gone that route that a couple of times).

There's a very nice segregated bike path on both sides of R136, which I used to take north to the canal and then take the canal path east to the city. Wondering if avoiding the canal and going east through Ronanstown and then Ballyfermot is a better (or worse) idea?

The canal can be a nightmare at times, I wouldn't advise using it after dark between Clondalkin and Blubell. Can you not go down the Naas road all the way into Inchichore to Kilmainham?

I know the canal can be a nightmare at night, I was one of the cyclists that were attacked there last December.

and this is why I want to avoid the canal in the evenings.

The part of Naas road with the segregated bike path is OK, but the upper part between Kylemore and Blackhorse (especially right before Blackhorse where it all goes down to a single lane) goes a bit outside my definition of "reasonably safe" at rush hour. I could turn left up Kylemore Rd or Killeen Rd then go through Ballyfermot to reach Kilmainham, but wondering if people have had any incidents cycling through Ballyfermot after dark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You could go through Ballymount and pop out at the Long Mile Road and then Kilmainham, a variance of this
    [url] https://maps.app.goo.gl/pTNs6STehDq6Eq9H8[/url][url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I cycle from home fCitywest to D8 every day (barr the last week or so!)
    When I'm avoiding the canal, which I do in nice weather, I go:

Over the N7 at Kingswood, down the Greenisle road, parallel to the N7, all the way to the T junction at Boot Road. Cross over and go through the little park, and then out and through Newland's Cross. Up the other side, again staying parallel to the N7 on the bikelane/path. Follow the bike/ped sign up over the the bridge to the Red Cow Luas, then up over the Red Cow footpath/bikelane network. Down on to the bike lane on the Naas Road and keep going all the way back to the canal. I turn east down the canal then, but you could keep going into Inchicore, or also turn east, and down into Kilmainham that way.

It's mostly okay, though the bikelanes are in shyte on the Naas Rd - just have to hop on to the busy road a couple of times around Bluebell/Longmile. It shaves about 15minutes off the canal route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Would the R136 then the Nangor Road to Naas Road be a possibility for you? I’ve done it a few times as far as Kylemore and it seems OK.

I cycle from home fCitywest to D8 every day (barr the last week or so!)
    When I'm avoiding the canal, which I do in nice weather, I go:

Over the N7 at Kingswood, down the Greenisle road, parallel to the N7, all the way to the T junction at Boot Road. Cross over and go through the little park, and then out and through Newland's Cross. Up the other side, again staying parallel to the N7 on the bikelane/path. Follow the bike/ped sign up over the the bridge to the Red Cow Luas, then up over the Red Cow footpath/bikelane network. Down on to the bike lane on the Naas Road and keep going all the way back to the canal. I turn east down the canal then, but you could keep going into Inchicore, or also turn east, and down into Kilmainham that way.

It's mostly okay, though the bikelanes are in shyte on the Naas Rd - just have to hop on to the busy road a couple of times around Bluebell/Longmile. It shaves about 15minutes off the canal route though.

This is what I ended up doing today. If the bike lanes extended all the way to Blackhorse on Naas road it'd be a better route. It's a bit terrifying with lorries/buses close pass you at 50+ km/h on the narrower parts of the road. Wondering if going into Long Mile Rd is a better option at the big crossroads thing next to Woodies.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Would the R136 then the Nangor Road to Naas Road be a possibility for you? I’ve done it a few times as far as Kylemore and it seems OK.

It would (though the shortcut through Green Isle Rd / Boot Rd is even shorter), though it still has the nasty bit on the Naas road between Kylemore and Blackhorse, as per above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

This is what I ended up doing today. If the bike lanes extended all the way to Blackhorse on Naas road it'd be a better route. It's a bit terrifying with lorries/buses close pass you at 50+ km/h on the narrower parts of the road. Wondering if going into Long Mile Rd is a better option at the big crossroads thing next to Woodies..

Yeah you're not wrong there. It doesn't last long, but it's a horrible little stretch. And there's a lot of lane swapping going on which makes it even worse. Bit of relief in the bus lane after FBD, and then I tend to use the LUAS track after that as far as Blackhorse. Not ideal though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

This is what I ended up doing today. If the bike lanes extended all the way to Blackhorse on Naas road it'd be a better route. It's a bit terrifying with lorries/buses close pass you at 50+ km/h on the narrower parts of the road. Wondering if going into Long Mile Rd is a better option at the big crossroads thing next to Woodies.

It would (though the shortcut through Green Isle Rd / Boot Rd is even shorter), though it still has the nasty bit on the Naas road between Kylemore and Blackhorse, as per above.

You could head down by the Green Isle and head down through the back gate of Parkwest, out by C&C and down to Ballyfermot - Kilmainham?

What's it like to cycle through Ballyfermot in the evening? I saw these and got a bit skeptical:

echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/stone-throwing-thugs-force-79-a-bus-off-route
    dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-suspend-service-ballyfermot-15927595
    irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-kingpins-of-ballyfermot-the-men-behind-the-dublin-city-council-protection-racket-1.4047568

There's actually a mostly protected-lane route going up through Grange Castle, Kishoge, Ronanstown, Coldcut Road and Ballyfermot, but I understand these are some of Dublin West's rougher parts.

What's it like to cycle through Ballyfermot in the evening? I saw these and got a bit skeptical:

echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/stone-throwing-thugs-force-79-a-bus-off-route
    dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-suspend-service-ballyfermot-15927595
    irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/crime-kingpins-of-ballyfermot-the-men-behind-the-dublin-city-council-protection-racket-1.4047568

There's actually a mostly protected-lane route going up through Grange Castle, Kishoge, Ronanstown, Coldcut Road and Ballyfermot, but I understand these are some of Dublin West's rougher parts.

I lived in those areas for 30 years, you will get undesirables on all routes to Kilmainham and heavy traffic as well. You will not find a completely safe route avoiding both traffic and the risk of a few scumbags acting the boll*x. It's a lucky dip I'm afraid.

Advertisement