Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another home WiFi improvement question

Options
  • 22-02-2020 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

House is a H shape with kitchen/sitting room one side and bedrooms other side with large’ish hall in the middle. 300sq ft overall.

Right now with Vodafone bb with a Huawei HG658c router (WiFi turned off) which in turn is bridged to an Apple airport Timecapsule to provide WiFi around the kitchen/sitting room area.

For the bedrooms side of the house I have one Apple AirPort Extreme which is connect to the timecapsule with Cat5 wiring (all bedrooms have cat5) and gives WiFi across the bedrooms.

Works fine 90% of the time but bedroom side of house is about 50% of what’s on the timecapsule in sitting room and doesn’t get to all bedrooms.

Was going to get another extreme but Apple don’t make them anymore and now thinking better off putting in new system now vs waiting for one of either the timecapsule or the extreme gives up the ghost and being fecked.

Any recommendations on what to use. Looked at mesh systems but don’t need to go there when have cat5 points all over the house. Was thinking access points (Ubiquiti) but not sure how well will work with Vodafone router and will I need to get a WiFi modem to bridge to again?

Any ideas/recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I recently installed a Linksys Mesh network at home. Relatively small house so two nodes were sufficient and both are wired directly to the Virgin Media box (where the WiFi is turned off).

It is so good. Rock solid performance and best part is having a single SSID for the whole house. It was a pain previously with different SSIDs for upstairs and downstairs and devices hanging onto a crazily weak signal despite being nearer the other WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Google's Mesh will happily use your cat5 as backhaul giving you more available bandwidth on the air, but still providing a single SSID.
    The TP-Link ones I've tried are less helpful with how they treat ethernet - for all but the primary member it provides a wired station connection and your traffic between them goes over the air. Great for Sky mini boxes though in a big building!

Advertisement