Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into cycling, what bike should I get?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Back again!

I'm looking at getting into cycling.
    It's just for fitness/fun, I commute close to 50km so I can't see myself managing that both ways on a bike any time soon.
    I want to join a cycling club, put in some serious miles, and I'll probably look for a turbo/smart trainer for home use - given our lovely weather.

I'm 169cm, 29" inseam, I'm 22 and I'm fit/flexible, so I'm after a road/race bike.

I spoke with my local bike shop, the owner is a gent.
    He straight up said I should be buying used unless I can get on the cycle to work scheme.
    He'll also give me a decent fit and sort me for bits and pieces.

I've around €1000 to spend on everything.. ideally less but gotta go fast.

I'm after something in a 51, 52, maybe a 53.. I've been told different things by different people/places,I'll probably go 52 or 51, since I can get into those positions.

I found a Cervelo R3, used, in my size, decent condition, couple of paint chips on the front fork but nothing major.
    It's looking like it'd cost €800.
    So I'd have 200 for everything else, or I could add a little more cash.

Is it worth it?
    I know it's an expensive bike but am I just being fooled by a shiny object?
    I know Giant and Trek are always recommended, what would you suggest?

I was told by the bike shop to avoid Canyon because he can't fix them (or he can but it's expensive to get parts, can't remember rightly).

I posted on some international forums and got told to get a nice gravel bike with mudguards - I guess they think Ireland only has roads with grass growing in the middle.

What do you guys think?
    I know it's a lot of money but if I do something I like to commit, or try to make myself commit..
    I've on again, off again wanted to get into 'proper' cycling for years.. I sold my old mountain bike with plans to get something else, and then I needed the cash.
    Now I don't and I'd like to give it a go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

MrMiata wrote: »
    Back again!

I'm looking at getting into cycling.
    It's just for fitness/fun, I commute close to 50km so I can't see myself managing that both ways on a bike any time soon.
    I want to join a cycling club, put in some serious miles, and I'll probably look for a turbo/smart trainer for home use - given our lovely weather.

I'm 169cm, 29" inseam, I'm 22 and I'm fit/flexible, so I'm after a road/race bike.

I spoke with my local bike shop, the owner is a gent.
    He straight up said I should be buying used unless I can get on the cycle to work scheme.
    He'll also give me a decent fit and sort me for bits and pieces.

I've around €1000 to spend on everything.. ideally less but gotta go fast.

I'm after something in a 51, 52, maybe a 53.. I've been told different things by different people/places,I'll probably go 52 or 51, since I can get into those positions.

I found a Cervelo R3, used, in my size, decent condition, couple of paint chips on the front fork but nothing major.
    It's looking like it'd cost €800.
    So I'd have 200 for everything else, or I could add a little more cash.

Is it worth it?
    I know it's an expensive bike but am I just being fooled by a shiny object?
    I know Giant and Trek are always recommended, what would you suggest?

I was told by the bike shop to avoid Canyon because he can't fix them (or he can but it's expensive to get parts, can't remember rightly).

I posted on some international forums and got told to get a nice gravel bike with mudguards - I guess they think Ireland only has roads with grass growing in the middle.

What do you guys think?
    I know it's a lot of money but if I do something I like to commit, or try to make myself commit..
    I've on again, off again wanted to get into 'proper' cycling for years.. I sold my old mountain bike with plans to get something else, and then I needed the cash.
    Now I don't and I'd like to give it a go!

Do you have the bike to work scheme available to you? If so I would get a new road bike for 1k. If not go 2nd hand. Go to a few shops and test drive a few to get a feel for geometry you like. Many good bikes at this price. Don’t be put off by any brand regardless of what the shop says. They fix my canyon when it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Personally I’d spend a little less on the bike initially and keep some money in your back pocket for changes you might want to make to the bike after you ride it a while. I’ve gone through a good few saddles/stems/bars to find what suited me.

I find now that I’ve been cycling a while the bike matters less and having the right accessories helps more when it comes to spending more time on the bike. Clipless pedals and shoes and a decent pair of bib tights made the biggest difference for me in terms of comfort next to having the right saddle.

The Cervelos are a nice bike too, any complaints I’ve read have been about creaky bottom brackets!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Dont avoid canyon they are usally competitive at what they offer.

If you willing to pay a little bit more you could buy a new bike with a 105 groupset on any of the online mail order brands rose and canyon or retailers chain reaction, bike 24, merin, tredz, sigma etc.

Only if you plan on commuting and going on adventurous rides would i get a gravel bike.

Check all your local bike shops and also ask if theres any floor models they may have.

If youre a bit unsure about if youll stick with it a second hand bike is probably better for you but personally youd be better of getting basic tool kit bike cleaner and lube and riding in all conditions then a turbo trainer unless you live in an apartment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MrMiata wrote: »
    you mean it's 50km each way, or in total?
    once you get fit, and if you have decent roads to cycle, 25km each way is doable. you'd want showers in work if doing that distance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

800 is a great budget for a really good 2nd hand bike. Be patient and you'll easily pick something up that was 2 to 3 grand new and was hopefully minded and serviced, something far superior to a €999 btw scheme, and something which will still be worth close to 800 quid for as long as you have it so long as you also mind it and service it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

you mean it's 50km each way, or in total?
    once you get fit, and if you have decent roads to cycle, 25km each way is doable. you'd want showers in work if doing that distance though.

50km both ways, I'd have to pay for a gym membership to to use the showers!

fat bloke wrote: »
    800 is a great budget for a really good 2nd hand bike. Be patient and you'll easily pick something up that was 2 to 3 grand new and was hopefully minded and serviced, something far superior to a €999 btw scheme, and something which will still be worth close to 800 quid for as long as you have it so long as you also mind it and service it.

I've a couple of things crop up, the majority of the stuff is '6 years old, looked after' cost me €1200 new, priced to sell €800'..
    I'll keep an eye out though!

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Personally I’d spend a little less on the bike initially and keep some money in your back pocket for changes you might want to make to the bike after you ride it a while. I’ve gone through a good few saddles/stems/bars to find what suited me.

I find now that I’ve been cycling a while the bike matters less and having the right accessories helps more when it comes to spending more time on the bike. Clipless pedals and shoes and a decent pair of bib tights made the biggest difference for me in terms of comfort next to having the right saddle.

The Cervelos are a nice bike too, any complaints I’ve read have been about creaky bottom brackets!

Didn't bother going with it, thought it was a little much to begin with.

I'd hope/plan to get a repair kit and stuff regardless, but I think I'd get the use out of a relatively cheap turbo trainer.
    I'd be getting the full kit anway, bibs, jerseys, gloves, shoes, pedals, helmet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Am 6'1, 67 and have lower back disc issues and my C3,4 & 5 are not the most flexible.
    Have been taking several brands of bikes for test spins.

One bike that I particularly like does not offer the option of raising the handle bars by fitting a longer "head-stem" if thats the correct terminology.

this is a size 48, what ever that means, and the supplier has penned the following when I asked about getting a 50 or 52.

The problem with the bike geometry on the 48 is that with the saddle at the correct height for pedalling, I need the h/bars to be about 4" higher to be able to see ahead comfortably.

Hi ,
    Using stem risers is not recommended on this bike.
    Currently, there are no high rise bars available for this bike either (the handlebars have specific routing for contol cables)
    If you are able to stand over a larger sized 50cm bike, the head tube is bigger giving a greater stack height.
    It's worth bearing in mind that a larger bike will have a longer reach too.
    Best advice is to visit a xxxx dealer to discuss sizing and geometry.

I asked about the reach:

Reach relates to how long the bike is.
    If the reach is too short for you, the result can be excessive pressure on your hands, and possible knee contact with the handlebars.
    If the reach is too long, and your back is not very flexible, or if you have low core strength, your body will compensate by moving your shoulders forward so you can reach the handlebars. This can result in neck, shoulder and back pain.
    As mentioned previously, the best advice is to visit a store and try the bikes, as this all depends on your body geometry too.

Would welcome any insights on bike verus human geometry.
    Thank you.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement