Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calories burned calculations on Edge 1030

Options
  • 21-02-2020 9:27pm
    Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭

Using edge 1030, vector 3 dual sided power meter and heart rate monitor.

Are the calories burned calculations to be believed? i know some people disregard them altogether or half them etc

Whats the general rule of thumb among the boardsies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think because of the vast difference between peoples rate of metabolism there is no possible way to get a good estimation of calories burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »
    I think because of the vast difference between peoples rate of metabolism there is no possible way to get a good estimation of calories burnt.

Not really applicable.

OP has a power meter, thats the only reasonably accurate way to measure:
    A rider putting out 200 watts for an hour will burn roughly 700 calories.

Avg power x moving time(hrs) * 0.86 = cals burnt (kcals, what your food is marked in). If the Garmin is doing something else you can pretty safely ignore it. It may try and add your resting burn to it but you'd use that on the couch so, IMO, it doesnt count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ED E wrote: »
    Not really applicable.

OP has a power meter, thats the only reasonably accurate way to measure:

Avg power x moving time(hrs) * 0.86 = cals burnt (kcals, what your food is marked in).

If that is proven to be accurate then great and very useful.
    But I wonder why my calculations on strava are no where near the figure calculated this way.

Advertisement