Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jomashop Duties and Taxes

Options
  • 21-02-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am buying a few watches from Jomashop.

In the checkout they are giving me two options with regards to Shipping Method - Duties & Taxes.

Either I pre-pay with them for $135 or $157 for the Express option or the "I'll Handle It Myself" option which is $13 or $35 for the express option.

What is the story here, am I going to be fleeced later on by customs/courier if I select the handle it myself option? Or are Jomashop trying to pull a fast one?

I am completely inexperienced when it comes to these sort of things so I'd appreciate any help or if anyone here has experience buying from Jomashop.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

From their Shipping info section -
    Duty and Shipping
    Most international orders are subject to Customs Duty and Tax regulations specified by the designated country and are the sole responsibility of the customer. You may contact your local customs office for details. All APO/FPO addressed packages will ship via USPS.

The goods will be imported on behalf of the consignee/ebuyer. The consignee authorizes the (name of eTailer/supplier) to import the goods on his behalf. Further, the consignee/buyer agrees that (name of the eTailer/supplier) may delegate the obligation to import the goods on his behalf to a subcontractor (e.g. customs broker). The consignee will pay the taxes & duties in addition with the purchase price of the goods.

You will probably get hit to pay the VAT and a handling fee. Maybe the extra cost version lets you pick what valuation you want on the package so if and when you do get caught the charge wont be as high.
    Im guessing though i have never purchased anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

In any dealings I've had with them they've always seemed straight up and I've never had any issues, but I can't remember ever being given the choice on checkout. I was always caught by customs for fees but it was in another European country, not Ireland. Is it possible that the more expensive option is like the Amazon scheme where imports from the US have the customs charges built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Thanks for the replies. I found it a little odd too they'd give the option. I did some googling last night and a few people seemed to have recommended that the person select the pre-paid option. It just seems quite steep to me, especially considering the watches themselves come to about $500

Here's what I am dealing with atm, apologies for it not hyperlinking

imgur.com/RyPaavg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Coneygree wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I found it a little odd too they'd give the option. I did some googling last night and a few people seemed to have recommended that the person select the pre-paid option. It just seems quite steep to me, especially considering the watches themselves come to about $500

Here's what I am dealing with atm, apologies for it not hyperlinking

imgur.com/RyPaavg.jpg

500 with Vat and handling applied here comes to @625.

Vat is 23% and handling fee varies between 10 and 18 depending on courier.

Joma are offering to declare VAT and handle the fee as part of the purchase leaving no further charge due.
    Or to ship uncleared and have you deal with customs and charges on delivery.

There's no scam involved, just a choice of pre-paying customs or rolling the dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

banie01 wrote: »
    500 with Vat and handling applied here comes to @625.

Vat is 23% and handling fee varies between 10 and 18 depending on courier.

Joma are offering to declare VAT and handle the fee as part of the purchase leaving no further charge due.
    Or to ship uncleared and have you deal with customs and charges on delivery.

There's no scam involved, just a choice of pre-paying customs or rolling the dice.

Ah I see thanks for the reply.

Do you think it'd be worth the hassle of potentially saving a few quid and sorting the customs and duty fees myself or just paying Jomashop up front and be done with it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement