Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water main running across site

Options
  • 21-02-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice .......

About to go sale agreed on a site subject to planning
    However, it has been brought to my attention by a friend that there is almost certainly a 3 inch water main running diagonally across the site. Irish water are in charge of the mains supply having taken over the Group Water Scheme a number of years back.....

So I am worried that this could end being hugely costly as I assume I will have to get Irish water to handle any diversion and they charge well for it no doubt

Question is what do I do next to find out if it needs to be diverted (it will almost certainly run under the potential new house) and how much it costs? Ideally need to find this out before going ahead with purchase don't I......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Have sent a data request to Irish Water to confirm the bad news before I get the even worse news of likely cost
    Got a reply saying I have to send a map in GIS format?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

km79 wrote: »
    Have sent a data request to Irish Water to confirm the bad news before I get the even worse news of likely cost
    Got a reply saying I have to send a map in GIS format?

Ya all the services will ask for that, it’s the standard land registry/OSI one you’ll submit with the planning too

brav wrote: »
    Ya all the services will ask for that, it’s the standard land registry/OSI one you’ll submit with the planning too
    Thats what I sent them in original email but it is a pdf. They replied saying it has to be in a different format "digital GIS polygon(s) (.dwg - 2013 or lower versions or .shp in ING) that outlines the extent and location of the area(s) that you require data. "

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Did your lawyer not spot this?
    the number will be very big, 30 to 40k plus, depending on the scale of the work

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Did your lawyer not spot this?
    the number will be very big, 30 to 40k plus, depending on the scale of the work

We are at the very preliminary stages of possibly buying a field.......no solicitor engaged yet. A person with local knowledge has suggested there is a water main running underground across the field where it wouldn't really be expected to.
    I do not really want to say anymore ......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Only Purchase on receipt of planning and confirmation from authorities there are no lea-ways on the property

BryanF wrote: »
    Only Purchase on receipt of planning and confirmation from authorities there are no lea-ways on the property

Thanks for the reply
    My problem is how do I get such confirmation ?
    Irish water have taken over the group water scheme so it could be messy!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

A 3 inch water main is a major piece of infrastructure. If you have permission to access the field an underground utility detection company should be able to locate the pipe without excavation.

If you have a printout of the pra map or planning pack map it's a very simple process to digitise it into an electronic drawing format for submission to Irish water.

A 3 inch water main is a major piece of infrastructure. If you have permission to access the field an underground utility detection company should be able to locate the pipe without excavation.

Yeah i have permission alright
    This might even be the handiest course of action if what I’m hearing about Irish Waters response time is true !

• Advertisement

If you have a printout of the pra map or planning pack map it's a very simple process to digitise it into an electronic drawing format for submission to Irish water.

I have a printout out the pra map and folio map . Can i download gis software to convert it Myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

You could try an online file converter, pdf to dwg https://www.zamzar.com/convert/pdf-to-dwg/

You could try an online file converter, pdf to dwg https://www.zamzar.com/convert/pdf-to-dwg/

Thanks I’ll try that

Remember to move it to the correct ING or ITM position in AutoCad.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

You should contact the water & drainage department in your local authority and request this map. Although Irish Water are technically responsible for the infrastructure, they still work hand in gloves with the local authorities.

You are far likelier to get a quick response and a map from the council IMO.

Also, as stated already, a GPR survey will be the only accurate way of pinpointing the main. The map could be well off in terms of actual main location

Advertisement