Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever been actually prosecuted for doing work near a RMP

Options
  • 21-02-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

It was my understanding that before undertaking any work that could cause disturbance within the notification zone of an RMP, you needed to notify or get permission from the minister. (Hence the name "notification zone")

I previously contacted the national monuments people to ask them about some work that was done by a landowner. They basically put in deep drains to drain a field that had a couple of these sites marked on the map. The drains passed through some of these notification areas.

When I contacted National Monuments they told me over the phone that there were no notifications for that area and that they would look into it. When I called them back a few weeks later they basically told me more or less "ah yeah, well they did it but they didn't come across anything archaeologically important when doing it so it's grand".

Is this the norm? I'd have thought that they'd be fairly pissed off that someone had done work without going through the steps, even if there was nothing there. Are those RMP and notification zones really just something you can actually ignore?

Has anything ever been enforced in relation to the monuments marked on a map? I'm not referring to a big obvious thing like knocking down a historic building - I am sure there are examples of enforcement there - what I mean is where there are monuments registered that are not really visible or above ground. Maybe an aerial photo showed up rings 30 years ago and they stuck it on the map but you wouldn't see anything at all from ground level (as was the case in my example here).

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Typical irish answer. If you told them there was a metal detector anywhere near it, they would
    swoop down on top of you fairly quick, but a 10 ton himac is grand. Amazing.

I remember contacting the national monuments people about the current laws regarding
    metal detectors many years ago. I wanted to know was beachcombing with a metal detector
    permissable. I felt it was the responsible thing to do.

I was left in no uncertain terms that anywhere in Ireland, beach or otherwise, I would always be in
    a close enough proximity to national heritage sites to be breaking the law, so was advised against it..
    So that basically prevented me from purchasing a top of the range one, even though it was for
    beachcombing and such. Fair enough our heritage needs to be protected, and not exploited for gain by anyone.

But a 10 ton digger???......sure its grand.

Double standards me thinks.

Do you remember the german tourist that tried to board a plane at Shannon,
    with a headstone in a suitcase from Clonmacnoise. His defence was that he
    wanted to bring home a little souvenir from Ireland:rolleyes:

Was he prosecuted, fine perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Who is responsible for "policing" these things?

I mean, surely the requirement to send a notification is a law?

Is it maybe the case that only the likes of the National Monuments crowd can prosecute such an action, and if they don't, nobody else can?

(I'm not going to do it myself of course. I was just surprised really at their lack of giving a shite. And I was wondering if this is actually a common thing so that there are people doing stuff they shouldn't, safe in the knowledge they'll get away with it while the rest of us eejits tiptoe carefully around things just in case)

Exactly, some people actually care, the rest dont give a s...te

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Can I ask what area are you in and do you know which nms area you reported it to

• Advertisement
Advertisement