Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla Post Office

Options
  • 20-02-2020 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Called into collect a parcel in Clonsilla Post Office this afternoon, only to find it all boarded up and gone.
    Anyone know if it’s closed for good or just temporary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Called into collect a parcel in Clonsilla Post Office this afternoon, only to find it all boarded up and gone.

Listed as open on An Post website. Unless a very recent closure.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Address:
    Clonsilla Post Office
    Weaver'S Row
    Clonsilla Road
    Dublin 15
    D15 K235

Opening Hours:
    Mon 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Tue 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Wed 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Thu 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Fri 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Sat 09:00 - 13:00

Latest Time of Posting:
    17:30

Phone:
    01-8213176

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Thought I read somewhere it was moving near where Iceland is??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

con747 wrote: »
    Listed as open on An Post website. Unless a very recent closure.

I called into the Spar shop where it has located for many years. The area at the rear of the shop where it has been located for many years is boarded up.
    No notice or signage to say what’s going on.

Address:
    Clonsilla Post Office
    Weaver'S Row
    Clonsilla Road
    Dublin 15
    D15 K235

Opening Hours:
    Mon 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Tue 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Wed 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Thu 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Fri 09:00 - 13:00 14:15 - 17:30
    Sat 09:00 - 13:00

Latest Time of Posting:
    17:30

Phone:
    01-8213176
    I honestly don’t follow your reply.
    I am very aware of where it is, as I called into it, this afternoon.
    I’m also very aware of the opening hours, which by the way are archaic!

• Advertisement

I honestly don’t follow your reply.
    I am very aware of where it is, as I called into it, this afternoon.
    I’m also very aware of the opening hours, which by the way are archaic!

That is what is on the An Post website, as I said it could be a very recent closure and the website might not be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭bkeane

It has moved to Mountview shopping centre and is in Gerrys mini mart shop. Beside the new Iceland.

That is what is on the An Post website, as I said it could be a very recent closure and the website might not be updated.

Just proves that the almighty internet is not always right.

Just proves that the almighty internet is not always right.

It goes to show slackness by An Post in updating their information. Nothing new there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Bad form that a simple sign couldn't be posted on the hoarding of the old PO to provide relocated address.

The Iceland PO seems very close to the Hartstown PO. (Less than 10 min walk?) Somewhere like Ongar would've been a better relocation to give more spread within the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bad form that a simple sign couldn't be posted on the hoarding of the old PO to provide relocated address.

The Iceland PO seems very close to the Hartstown PO. (Less than 10 min walk?) Somewhere like Ongar would've been a better relocation to give more spread within the area

Iceland is also quite near Blancherstown PO, makes no sense moving it to Iceland. Agreed Ongar would have been a much more logical location especially with all the new development there.
    Wonder was there backhanders involved in getting Iceland to open in Mountview and redevelop the area, will be a big loss to the Spar in Clonsilla.

Called into the new “Clonsilla” PO on Friday morning, to collect my parcel.
    A far much better facility for both staff and customers in comparison to the previous premise. Much better queuing space for customers. The ladies behind the counter no longer have to operate out of a very cramped area. Much easier car parking for customers in comparison to Spar.
    Listening to customers in the queue they were very pleased with the move, as it’s appears to be on the majority of their doorstep’s.
    Iceland is also quite near Blancherstown PO, makes no sense moving it to Iceland. Agreed Ongar would have been a much more logical location especially with all the new development there.
    Wonder was there backhanders involved in getting Iceland to open in Mountview and redevelop the area, will be a big loss to the Spar in Clonsilla.

How long did it that did you the last time you walked from Mountview to Blanchardstown Main St?
    Backhanders to Iceland, best laugh I had this evening!
    Just look at the locations of other Iceland’s. The demographic of Fortlawn, Sheepmore, Whitestown is very similar to the rest of their other locations.

I'm assuming they meant the distance to PO in Blanch SC which would be no more than 15 mins walk.

I agree with you though that parking is far better in Mountview than in the old place. (I avoid Romayos also for that very reason)' I also never liked discussing payments at counter in Clonsilla PO while someone was standing next to you inspecting tins of beans or brillo pads..lol!!

I'm assuming they meant the distance to PO in Blanch SC which would be no more than 15 mins walk.
    I read Blanchardstown PO and not Blanchardstown Centre PO. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I read Blanchardstown PO and not Blanchardstown Centre PO. :)

Oops, my bad, meant Blanchardstown Centre PO, Blanch village is a good bit further afield and don't even know where the PO is there.

Interestingly, the original pre Spar Clonsilla post office is for sale. I never knew that cottage housed the post office years ago!

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/clonsilla/the-old-post-office-clonsilla-road-clonsilla-dublin-2383619

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oops, my bad, meant Blanchardstown Centre PO, Blanch village is a good bit further afield and don't even know where the PO is there.

It's beside SuperValu.

Interestingly, the original pre Spar Clonsilla post office is for sale. I never knew that cottage housed the post office years ago!

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/clonsilla/the-old-post-office-clonsilla-road-clonsilla-dublin-2383619

That would be the original Clonsilla PO, if I recall correctly it stopped been a PO in the early to mid 1960’s. It then moved to the thatched shop “The Thatch”, which was on the site now occupied by the Host Chinese Takeaway and Clonsilla Pharmacy until the 80’s and then to what is now Spar and it latest incarnation, Mountview Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't remember it in the thatch shop, I do remember it in the white cottage and that was 70s. Maybe I just remember them talking about it. I remember the community hall behind the thatch shop. Was it like barn with corrugated tin? Too small to remember clearly. Felt like the countryside back then. Lots of woods, orchards and fields.

Lot more character than the unplanned and ugly urban sprawl of today. One ugly building and shop after another jammed in any which way.

It's a mess now.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't remember it in the thatch shop, I do remember it in the white cottage and that was 70s. I remember the community hall behind the thatch shop. Was it like barn with corrugated tin? Too small to remember clearly. Felt like the countryside back then. Lots of woods, orchards and fields.
    I recall visiting the house of family friends immediately next door in the late 60’s and the PO was not there and it was rented out to another family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

beauf wrote: »
    ..I remember the community hall behind the thatch shop. Was it like barn with corrugated tin? Too small to remember clearly...

Its still there... think its still used as a community center.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3830837,-6.4102528,3a,43.8y,186.03h,84.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s274_pyG772MK3po6wvoINA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

“Roll it back”

Advertisement