Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next door new extension Gutter down-pipe drain onto my lawn

Options
  • 20-02-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi Next door built an extension on the back of his house - now the rain water from this new extension roof is pooring onto my lawn- should I talk to him about this ? there is a eve shoot at boundary between both houses and then water just left flow onto my lawn...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yes, picture?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

photo attached - from photo you can see gutter flows down side of his extn onto my lawn... what should he do with this downpipe ? what regulations ..Thks

photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The roof and gutters seem to be over the boundary line.
    It should be piped to a drain.

Definitely speak to them about it and if nothing is done you may need to get a solicitor on the case.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

harry999 wrote: »
    photo attached

simply not finished.

get onto your neighbor and ask him when he intends to finish that downpipe, as expressing stormwater onto your site is not at all acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The roof and gutters seem to be over the boundary line.
    It should be piped to a drain.

Definitely speak to them about it and if nothing is done you may need to get a solicitor on the case.

assuming the wall is on the boundary, the roof is definitely over the boundary. It's a bit late now but you should have stopped them when they were building and clarified where the boundary line is.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭FledNanders

Looks like the roof needs to be cut back to the boundary, and then extra guttering installed around the far side of the extension to carry water to a drain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

loyatemu wrote: »
    assuming the wall is on the boundary, the roof is definitely over the boundary. It's a bit late now but you should have stopped them when they were building and clarified where the boundary line is.

Agree. I wouldn't be happy with that at all. Who cleans the gutters if they get filled with crap and start overflowing? Did he approach you when he was going to build the extension? I'm guessing it was so small he didn't need planning.

As that ship has now sailed it would be good to somehow get in writing an agreement/acknowledgement. If you want to build an extension up against that boundary too in the future that you will modify or remove that element of his roof as it's over your land. He has to be made aware his extension extends over your land. A solicitor will need to advise but you don't want a sterile strip in your own garden.
    This is all in addition to him sorting out the downpipe. This should be brought back into his garden and connected to drain or soakaway on his land. Tackle this now while we've all the storms and rain as it creates more of an urgency than in summer.

edit:
    Looks like the roof needs to be cut back to the boundary, and then extra guttering installed around the far side of the extension to carry water to a drain
    This would be my preferred option but a lot more work.

The wall on the next door extension was on their side just inside the boundary - but the tiles on the roof are then coming out a bit - def coming out to half way on boundary (if not coming out more)...

So the stormwater should be flowing into a drain and not flowing into my garden ?

If I leave like this and I want to extend onto garden as he has done in a few years - I could have major issues as next door stormwater would have rights by that time to flow as have been with the last few years.......

Thks

• Advertisement

The wall on the next door extension was on their side just inside the boundary - but the tiles on the roof are then coming out a bit - def coming out to half way on boundary (if not coming out more)...

So the stormwater should be flowing into a drain and not flowing into my garden ?

If I leave like this and I want to extend onto garden as he has done in a few years - I could have major issues as next door stormwater would have rights by that time to flow as have been with the last few years.......

Thks

its hard to make out from that pic, but is the extension gutter higher than the flat roof of that shed behind? if so, he can bring the pipe over that flat roof and dispose of it within his own site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

You need to establish where the boundary is and weather or not he is over sailing the boundary with the roof and gutter. A parapet wall detail would of been a much better option but that ship has sailed.

The water from the roof needs to go into a surface water drain. Your garden will be waterlogged in no time. It may be the case that its not finished but it wouldn't be hard to rig up a temp fix until it is finished. I wouldn't stand for it being left like that for any length of time.

is the extension gutter higher than the flat roof of that shed behind? - Yes it is...

is the extension gutter higher than the flat roof of that shed behind? - Yes it is...

then thats the most obvious answer

but 100% it cannot stay as it is, it will destroy your garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Doop wrote: »
    You need to establish where the boundary is and weather or not he is over sailing the boundary with the roof and gutter. A parapet wall detail would of been a much better option but that ship has sailed.

The water from the roof needs to go into a surface water drain. Your garden will be waterlogged in no time. It may be the case that its not finished but it wouldn't be hard to rig up a temp fix until it is finished. I wouldn't stand for it being left like that for any length of time.

Nope, definitely not. A relation of mine was left in this situation when her builder left her guttering oversailing next door. Months later she had to get a builder in to amend it to a parapet wall with everything on her side of the boundary.

Advertisement