Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the public interest......

Options
  • 20-02-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Inter alia, prosecutors making a charging decision have to have regard for whether or not it is the public interest to proceed.

What exactly is the conceptual basis of the public interest in this context ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This has come up in several cases recently and it would be good to read a legal view of it here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The DPP's Guidelines for Prosecutors has a section on how the public interest influences a decision to prosecute (or not). It's at Sections 4.4 to 4.8.

Robbo wrote: »
    The DPP's Guidelines for Prosecutors has a section on how the public interest influences a decision to prosecute (or not). It's at Sections 4.4 to 4.8.

A very interesting read. I couldn’t see any definition of the public interest. It leads me to believe that it’s regarded by the legal profession as a concept best covered by my new phrase WKBOC. We know best old chap! I’ll await further elucidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is no hard and fast test at play, nor is there any definition, there is judicial discretion to decide what (if any interests) are at play, but in deciding on the public interests, other factors should be considered such as the interests of justice, the interests of all parties concerned and of course public policy.

GM228 wrote: »
    There is no hard and fast test at play, nor is there any definition, there is judicial discretion to decide what (if any interests) are at play, but in deciding on the public interests, other factors should be considered such as the interests of justice, the interests of all parties concerned of course public policy.

On an almost theoretical level I’m interested in this as a working out in one area of the old common law approach inherited from Britain against a more European rules based order. The older approach had a wonderful subtlety and flexibility and a process of intellectual induction akin to inculturation. That of course leads to old boys clubs and appalling vista land. On the other hand can a rules based system define something that is changing and developing without losing the agility to respond without a ponderous formal process of review? Is this philosophy of law?

• Advertisement
Advertisement