Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review of currently occupied home

Options
  • 20-02-2020 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi

I've been living in my current home for the past three years. In that time, I've had a few odd jobs done around the house by my father-in-law. I recently had a tradesman in quoting a job for me, and he pointed out a few issues around the house with work that my father-in-law had done.

Now that has got me worried that despite his good intentions, he is not be fully aware of whatever building rules and regulations are currently in play. Would a survey be my best bet to identify any issues? Is it common to get a survey done After you've actually bought the house? Or is there some other type of building review that I need to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

elvis83 wrote: »
    Hi

I've been living in my current home for the past three years. In that time, I've had a few odd jobs done around the house by my father-in-law. I recently had a tradesman in quoting a job for me, and he pointed out a few issues around the house with work that my father-in-law had done.

Now that has got me worried that despite his good intentions, he is not be fully aware of whatever building rules and regulations are currently in play. Would a survey be my best bet to identify any issues? Is it common to get a survey done After you've actually bought the house? Or is there some other type of building review that I need to do?

What exactly did your fil do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

So we have a basement, and part of that is used as a shed. He's a plumber by trade, and when we were doing the heating, he advised putting the oil tank in this covered area for security reasons. Sounded reasonable. However I don't believe an oil tank should be covered at all, at least from talking to a second source.

Secondly, he did a bit of wiring in the basement for me. Now he's not an electrician at all. I already have a qualified electrician coming next week to check that out.

That's the two main things, but he's done lots of little things here and there and now there's doubt in my mind over it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have you told your insurance company that you have a tank of oil in the basement?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

There must be some misunderstanding here. No trades person would site an oil tank in a basement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cerco wrote: »
    There must be some misunderstanding here. No trades person would site an oil tank in a basement.

How would you get an oil tank in a basement ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

listermint wrote: »
    How would you get an oil tank in a basement ....

Ask Daniel O’Donnell 🤪

So the basement has a big garage door entry way to the side of it. The oil tank is situated inside that, against the same wall as the doorway. Maybe that's enough ventilation, but I highly doubt it. From looking at the link provided in an earlier post, I highly doubt it.

I have not told my insurance company, I didn't realise it was an issue until I had another tradesman in, looking at a separate issue. He pointed it out to me straight away, hence why I'm only really now worrying about it.

Cerco wrote: »

Indeed. I fear I trusted a bit of a cowboy here...even if he is family. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's very common to have oil tanks in cellars in Germany, I guess they're vented to the outside and filled from the outside too but am not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dathi

OSI wrote: »
    Whatever about the oil tank, this part at a minimum is illegal unless he's a qualified and registered electrician.

it depends on what electrical work was done as it could have been done under the minor electrical works exemption.
    https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

for the oil tank it must have a bund and be enclosed in a chamber with 60min fire resistance which would be a concrete chamber
    taken from building regs TGDs

5.2.4.1An oil storage tank with a capacity not
    exceeding 3,500 litres should be located in
    accordance with Table 10. For the purpose of
    Table 10, the following terms apply:

Bund: a catchpit beneath the tank, without a
    drain, constructed with non-permeable
    materials and capable of containing the
    contents of the tank, plus an additional 10%
    (see CIRIA Report 163 for the construction of
    masonry and concrete bunds).

Chamber: a fully enclosed ventilated space,
    bounded by non-combustible 60 minutes fire
    resisting construction (see Technical
    Guidance Document B), including a self
    closing fire door wholly above the bund level.

Advertisement