Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is liability of changing car without telling finance company about it?

Options
  • 19-02-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    Let me get this clear from the outset.
    1. I will speak to finance company about this but I want to know if anyone has been in this situation before
    2. I am not trying to scam the finance company, I just want to know my options before I call them. if its illegal, then i wont be doing it!

So I was in a car accident a few weeks ago and the car was classed as a Cat C write off. I had finance on the car but have only had the car less than a year.

I checked and the payout is covering 95% of the cost of the car and I do have gap insurance.

However, to get another car, it will need financing, and for that, i need to find 15% (which I dont have right now)

The insurance company have stated they are electronically sending me the money in the next couple of days.

My question is, has anyone been in a situation where they used the payout to buy another car and then transferred liability of the loan (and kept paying it) to the new car (should it be a similar price, make, model etc)

Or is this completely illegal and I should just send the money straight to the finance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Hi Op,

you may get a better response in the motors forum, theres some very knowlegeable posters over there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try a few garages that deal finance and put it to them if you're buying new or whatever off a dealer.

Advertisement