Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am Not Okay With This - Netflix - (***Spoilers***)

Options
  • 17-02-2020 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,428 ✭✭✭✭

Dear Diary, go **** yourself.

From the producers of Stranger Things and the director of The End of the F***ing World comes a new series based on the Charles Forsman graphic novel.

Cast: Sophia Lillis, Wyatt Oleff, Sofia Bryant, Richard Ellis, Kathleen Rose Perkins & Aidan Wojtak-Hissong
    Director Entwisle has called the seven-episode series something “that has a very John Hughes feel to it — X-Men meets The Breakfast Club meets Lady Bird.

The opening moments of the trailer should grab attention.

Drops February 26th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah yeah Ill be watching that, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Only watched the first series of Stranger Things, didn't fancy any more. Thought End of the F****ing World was decent enough. This looks like it could strike the right balance for me; looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1: Good opener! Think everything I remember from the trailers has come up and they've given more.

So far this feels like a well made show, the camera work and direction has me hooked. The scriptwork between the characters feels solid and there's a gentle introduction (I'm guessing) to the big plot arc.

Probably to early to start guessing but
    it feels at this moment like maybe her Dad was also powered with another possibility of maybe he was murdered and then the killers staged his suicide.

Oh and the soundtrack feels decent too

2: Alright, this is good. 20-30min episodes feel refreshing. Kinda feels like a mix of the Chronicle (film - wiki link) style for power but more like an X-Men character backstory. Although.. I doubt Disney would allow smoking weed in an X-Men character backstory.

I'm guessing the setup to be:
    - start of each episode is showing a small piece of a scene from towards the end of the season
    - the rest of each episode must be the backstory leading up to this event at the end

So from this episode, again with great direction, camerawork and character scripts,
    I just felt like it was bringing the audience along. We're seeing powers development and relationships development. Though I did think the start scene reminded me of the ending of the Carrie movie(s).

3: Ok that was cool! Definintely getting the feeling this is a show kinda for a binge. The episodes just fly by.

I
    dunno what's gonna happen here. Like.. all that blood from the future scene. The only other people around are family/friends/townsfolk so.. they're the only ones I can see it happening to. Unless a villian/the government turn up or something.
    Slydice wrote: »
    I'm guessing the setup to be:
    - start of each episode is showing a small piece of a scene from towards the end of the season
    - the rest of each episode must be the backstory leading up to this event at the end

narrator: one episode later he was wrong
    Slydice wrote: »
    Chronicle (film) style ... X-Men character backstory
    and just to lump in .. the colour scheme/feel of Sharp Object (Amy Adams show - wiki link)

• Advertisement

4:
    A new powered person?! Villian! .. or Mentor?!
    Definitely got a hero/powered origin story going on!
    Unsure of powers, friend who's gonna do some research/try to help figure it out.
    Stans Dad gave him a shiner?
    :(
    Powers look to be on the strong telekinetic side. So move/manipulate objects but not read minds (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,827 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I enioyed this... waayy too short but an easy watch, and definitely sets up an exciting second season.

It does feel like a carbon copy of TEOTFW (with less impressive leads IMO) mixed with Stranger Things.. not a surprise given the talent behind it.

Hope Netflix gives it a second (much longer) season!

Definitely sooo easy to watch. A real fast-binge show. Feels sooo high-quality .. like a lot of money went into the show.

5: Alright, a
    delay in the reveal of this other powered person but the time was well spent in shoring up the team. So that has me guessing it's a villian we're about to see... and all the blood from the future scenes they keep splicing in.

What's happening with
    Brad.. feels like they wanted to have someone in a position similar (though not as bad) as Clay Boone
    in the Impulse youtube series.

6: Next (final) episode! Immediately!

7: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I mean like, I was expecting something but however they did it, I was caught off-guard when it happened!
    :eek:

Alright, that ending.
    I'm guessing the other powered person is gonna be a mentor figure. Maybe her father or a friend of the the father.
    This kinda reminds me a bit of the Impulse youtube series again.

Season 2! Immediately!

*googles*
    Nothing definite. Found this: will Netflix greenlight I Am Not Okay with This season 2?
    If Netflix keeps the same renewal/cancellation schedule, an official announcement will be made within six weeks after the first installment's late February 2020 release date. Expect Netflix to greenlight I Am Not Okay with This season 2 sometime in March 2020.

• Advertisement

I looked up that box that belonged to her Dad with H50 and 1944 on it.

Described as a "British Army Ammo Box" here: https://www.amighini.net/js/quickview.php?id=6185

Someone in 2008 asking about one here:
    http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43159&p=564207
    got this info in two of the replies:
    The H50 was the standard SAA transit box from about 1944 onwards, post war ones which have a different pattern of pressings in the lid were still in use until a few years ago.

The H50 held two of the usual wooden H51 SAA boxes, with the ammunition in tin liners (H52 IIRC) with different types of rip-off lids depending on contents.
    Post war ones are fairly common, usually in the £5-£15 range depending on condition.
    Wartime ones aren't about much, so the price goes up accordingly.
    So I dunno if that's anything to do with the Dad and/or the family history or just a prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,283 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched episode 1 I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Binged this and loved it! Stranger Things meets Carrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really cool show, watched it in one sitting. Extremely easy watch and very tightly crafted too, never a dull or pointless moment. Really hope it gets a second season.

I've seen the first four. Really like it- trying to space it out, but it's so moreish.
    It's realism has a good take on the nascent supernaturalism within it, where the coming-of-age awkwardness and insecurities dovetail with emerging superpowers that the lead has trouble even noticing, before trying to control. There's nothing particularly new here; it's just really well executed (although the all-American-style house-party trope was a bit cringy). The lead, Sophia Lillis, is great in this, with very good supports around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It finished just as it was getting going. Still decent though and the soundtrack is a cracker.

Great little show. Excellent acting, with lovely humour and drama, and 80's music. Always leaves you wanting more; fluffy, yet punchy. With such humble beginnings, this has lots of room to expand.

Actually found the comic-book it is based on available to read here:
    https://www.comicextra.com/i-am-not-okay-with-this/chapter-TPB_(Part_1)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone tried "I'm not OK with this" described as "from the creators of Stranger Things"

With nods to Stranger Things (nosebleed) and Carrie.

Just two episodes in, but good so far

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone tried "I'm not OK with this" described as "from the creators of Stranger Things"

With nods to Stranger Things (nosebleed) and Carrie.

Just two episodes in, but good so far

Is it from the creators of Stranger Things? I thought it was someone from The End of the F**king World.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,880 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's both. Same guy wrote the source material for both shows but the series is made by the Stranger Things team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Moved to its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That was some ending - reminiscent of Carrie in many ways. Great 80s sound track in the final episode - Bunnymen, Roxy Music, Pixies.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,019 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Really enjoyed this show...interesting, dark, fun, dramatic.....very enjoyable

Super soundtrack. Is it set in the 1980s?

walshb wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this show...interesting, dark, fun, dramatic.....very enjoyable

Super soundtrack. Is it set in the 1980s?
    Sydney and Stanley texting during the series would indicate probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,019 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Basq wrote: »
    Sydney and Stanley texting during the series would indicate probably not.

Yes. Missed that. And did see a laptop as well.

Bit misleading so...

Even the names, Sydney and Stanley give off a 70s/80s vibe.

Also, just remembered.....the cctv footage was on a USB stick

I think that's more to do with it being a small town so nothing too modern about the place.
    Or maybe just because last time we saw them together they were playing kids in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thought this was incredibly charming.

It was one of those things like Scott Pilgrim where when the weird **** started happening, I hadn't realised it was based on a comic so it kinda blind-sided me, in a good way.

Was looking forward to season 2. Guess with how season 2 ended, they need to film with the actors closer to the age they were in season 1

• Advertisement

Feck

Advertisement