Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Change to Higher Level on the day of the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 17-02-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I’m in ordinary Irish and hoping to do Higher Level for my Leaving Cert. I did OL for my Junior Cert but realised in 5th year I want to go into primary teaching so have been self-studying the HL material since then because my school wouldn’t let me in the HL class. At the moment I can do 70% of the paper with confidence. But last week our school gave us the forms for the LC and I was set down in print as OL.

If I’m set down as OL do i have to do it on the day? Or will they have spare papers for HL?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school's exam secretary can change it before the exam, which would be best as you haven't done the oral yet, but you can also change level on the day of the exam. They will have extra papers. Obviously if the whole class start changing you might have to wait for photocopies, but they will have a few papers.

It's at JC you can't change level on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Just be aware that if you selected Pass Irish on the SEC form in January, you cannot now go to Honours. Same for any other languages that have had their orals cancelled. Otherwise, everyone would be moving to Honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jenniferrb

JDMC2 wrote: »
    Just be aware that if you selected Pass Irish on the SEC form in January, you cannot now go to Honours. Same for any other languages that have had their orals cancelled. Otherwise, everyone would be moving to Honours.

Yes, thankfully I moved to HL before the oral exams! I got lucky! So it’s only languages and music you can’t move up to HL at this point, but you can still do it in other subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jenniferrb wrote: »
    Yes, thankfully I moved to HL before the oral exams! I got lucky! So it’s only languages and music you can’t move up to HL at this point, but you can still do it in other subjects?

There's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed as usual for other subjects, for LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jenniferrb wrote: »

As things stand yes, all other practical deadlines have been moved to May 15th. We don't know where we will be at that stage. If practicals take place as normal then you will be able to change levels on the day. If practicals end up being cancelled like the orals and marks awarded in the same manner, I guess they will apply the same rule about not changing levels. No one really knows yet. I guess just keep the head down and keep working for the next while, it won't go to waste!

• Advertisement
Advertisement