Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering buying 2nd hand electric car for first time.

Options
  • 14-02-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a 2nd hand electric car for my wife to drive, also as a 2nd backup car for myself.
    I currently own a Vauxhall Zafira.

We can use our car we have now for any long journeys so it will probably just be needed for smaller journeys maybe no more than 50 or 60 miles round trip.

I don't know much about electric cars and was hoping I could get something around maybe 7000, maybe an older 24kw Leaf or similar?

Any advice welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep, an EV would be perfect in your situation. A €7k early Leaf will do, but you won't get 60 miles out of it. You'd need a newer gen Leaf that came out in late 2013. A 141 Leaf will set you back from about €9k. And even with the newer Leaf, you would want to take it very handy to get that 60 miles in winter (and it will be tight at best). But on your budget, it's your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

unkel wrote:
    Yep, an EV would be perfect in your situation. A €7k early Leaf will do, but you won't get 60 miles out of it. You'd need a newer gen Leaf that came out in late 2013. A 141 Leaf will set you back from about €9k. And even with the newer Leaf, you would want to take it very handy to get that 60 miles in winter (and it will be tight at best). But on your budget, it's your best shot.

Thanks...

Thinking about the mileage, I have probably over estimated it maybe, as the longer journeys I could charge at the destination, like my mum and dad's house which is about a 25 mile drive. Other journeys might be about 30 or 40 miles round trip.

Is there any particular models I should look out for?
    And what do I look out for in regards to battery degregation when looking to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Less of a fire hazard with the EV than your current motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thanks...

Thinking about the mileage, I have probably over estimated it maybe, as the longer journeys I could charge at the destination, like my mum and dad's house which is about a 25 mile drive. Other journeys might be about 30 or 40 miles round trip.

Is there any particular models I should look out for?
    And what do I look out for in regards to battery degregation when looking to buy?

At that budget , you only really have the leaf option afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChadHogan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    At that budget , you only really have the leaf option afaik

Recently picked up a 141 leaf. Have been driving it about a month so far. Daily commute is 45 miles, mainly motorway. I'm making the full round trip with 20% battery to spare most days.

I was driving conservatively at the start, eco mode on, no heater etc, but I've confirmed to myself that the range is there, and the weather last few weeks hasn't been great so I dont worry about it now, and just drive with thinking about the battery.

State of health of the battery was 82 % when I bought it. The performance to date indicate i dont need to be concerned with the degradation for a while i d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,220 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every new purchaser of an EV suffers from range anxiety initially (although maybe not as prevalent on the ones with huge batteries these days).

Every L24 Leaf owner can testify to that. But you soon learn to be confident in what your car can do, and can't.

The OH still suffers it. If she has to go to nearest town, approx 5km each way, and the Leaf has <30% on the battery, she'll refuse to do it!

Advertisement