Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expected to drop out of courses?

• 14-02-2020 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have not been in education for a long time and have no leaving cert etc. I am currently doing a couple of courses that will eventually prepare me for further study. They're 3 days a week for a few hours. I understand I could get a part time job in the mean time but I haven't found anything suitable yet so haven't applied to anything (I've been on JSA for a few months) but I definitely am looking. I just don't understand why this isn't good enough and why I should be expected to find a full time job and drop out of my courses if I get an offer? Surely since I have no leaving cert or qualifications, courses will benefit me more in the long run. Is there anything I can do or another allowance I could get instead? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to work and I don't want to make it seem like I'm ungrateful but dropping out of my courses would just set me up for failure. I feel like I'm being hounded and when I was in Intreo the other day, the receptionist made me feel like I was doing something wrong by putting myself back in school. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ignore them. You are quite entitled to get yourself back into education, to as high a level as you can manage. It's not up to receptionists in Intreo to decide how high that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

I have not been in education for a long time and have no leaving cert etc. I am currently doing a couple of courses that will eventually prepare me for further study. They're 3 days a week for a few hours. I understand I could get a part time job in the mean time but I haven't found anything suitable yet so haven't applied to anything (I've been on JSA for a few months) but I definitely am looking. I just don't understand why this isn't good enough and why I should be expected to find a full time job and drop out of my courses if I get an offer? Surely since I have no leaving cert or qualifications, courses will benefit me more in the long run. Is there anything I can do or another allowance I could get instead? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to work and I don't want to make it seem like I'm ungrateful but dropping out of my courses would just set me up for failure. I feel like I'm being hounded and when I was in Intreo the other day, the receptionist made me feel like I was doing something wrong by putting myself back in school. Any advice?

A condition of Jsa is that you are to be available for and actively seeking full time work.
    If you are not doing this then you are not eligible for jsa, its really that simple. Certain courses you can apply to do on btea, then the need to be looking for full time work is removed as a condition

You are fuly allowed to do online courses while on jsa, but these need to be done and applied for thru the springboard service i think it is, but none of these stop you looking for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coloursofrome

wifey28 wrote: »
    A condition of Jsa is that you are to be available for and actively seeking full time work.
    If you are not doing this then you are not eligible for jsa, its really that simple. Certain courses you can apply to do on btea, then the need to be looking for full time work is removed as a condition

You are fuly allowed to do online courses while on jsa, but these need to be done and applied for thru the springboard service i think it is, but none of these stop you looking for work

Thanks! The courses I'm doing are in an adult education centre and were recommended to me by the case officer I met with in intreo. I thought it was enough to do part time work along with courses, which will obviously make me more employable in the long run. Do I need to apply for BTEA then? No one ever told me about that but they know I'm doing courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭wifey28

Thanks! The courses I'm doing are in an adult education centre and were recommended to me by the case officer I met with in intreo. I thought it was enough to do part time work along with courses, which will obviously make me more employable in the long run. Do I need to apply for BTEA then? No one ever told me about that but they know I'm doing courses.

You need t enquire aboutit for sure but the courses you are doing may not be covered as they are part time, i think they need to be lvl 5 or 6 courses to becovered

Advertisement