Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a motorhome

Options
  • 13-02-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm importing a 2015 motorhome from UK next week. 2 issues: 1.The dealer says he has to register it in my name and tax it before I drive it away. As I understand the UK vehicle registration process, the log book (V5C) will be sent by the dealer to the DVLA who will register me as the owner and send me back the V5C. But I need the V5C to go to NCTS within 30 days for inspection and VRT processing. 2. The dealer says that the V5C doesn't state CO2 emission level but the NCTS FAQ says I need this. Can anyone clarify these issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

jolkey wrote: »
    I'm importing a 2015 motorhome from UK next week. 2 issues: 1.The dealer says he has to register it in my name and tax it before I drive it away. As I understand the UK vehicle registration process, the log book (V5C) will be sent by the dealer to the DVLA who will register me as the owner and send me back the V5C. But I need the V5C to go to NCTS within 30 days for inspection and VRT processing. 2. The dealer says that the V5C doesn't state CO2 emission level but the NCTS FAQ says I need this. Can anyone clarify these issues?

The simpest way,if the road tax is expired or the vehicle is SORN'd, is for the dealer to tax the vehicle for a minimum period, any unused tax after export will be refunded by the DVLA.

Then make sure you get an invoice from the seller with the date of sale and final price paid and the V5C registration / logbook.

You then need to tell the DVLA before you leave the UK that you are intending to export the vehicle by filling in the V5C/4 ‘notification of permanent export’ section of your logbook, but you dont send them the V5C. See the link below.

Alternatively, after you have left the UK with the vehicle you need to fill in a V561 certificate of permanent export. You can apply for one of these using form V756. More information can be found HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The seller *must* give you the full V5C, then the seller notifies the DVLA separately in writing that the vehicle has been sold for export.

You will *not* be able to register it here without the V5C. The DVLA will not send a new one to a foreign address, and they no longer provide a Certificate of Permanent Export either.

The procedure is explained on the DVLA website. Bring this to the seller's attention *before* proceeding with the purchase.

If the seller still refuses to give you the full cert, walk away and look elsewhere.

The link given by the poster above is not relevant to your situation.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jolkey

Thanks a million for clarifying. I'll bring the contents of the DVLA website to the dealers notice. On another point am I right in thinking that I don't need CO2 emissions level because VRT on a motorhome is 13.3% regardless of emissions?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jolkey wrote: »
    Thanks a million for clarifying. I'll bring the contents of the DVLA website to the dealers notice. On another point am I right in thinking that I don't need CO2 emissions level because VRT on a motorhome is 13.3% regardless of emissions?

That’s correct. It’s 13.5% of a random figure they reckon your camper is worth.

Esel wrote: »
    The seller *must* give you the full V5C, then the seller notifies the DVLA separately in writing that the vehicle has been sold for export.

You will *not* be able to register it here without the V5C. The DVLA will not send a new one to a foreign address, and they no longer provide a Certificate of Permanent Export either.

The procedure is explained on the DVLA website. Bring this to the seller's attention *before* proceeding with the purchase.

If the seller still refuses to give you the full cert, walk away and look elsewhere.

The link given by the poster above is not relevant to your situation.

All that you quote and more is in the link, so why is it not relevant. The website lists the correct proceedure to be followed when 'taking a vehicle out of the UK as a permament export.

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    All that you quote and more is in the link, so why is it not relevant. The website lists the correct proceedure to be followed when 'taking a vehicle out of the UK as a permament export.
    The link you gave is for a vehicle being exported by the *current* owner. This is not the situation under discussion.

The correct link is:

https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

Not your ornery onager

The link you gave is for a vehicle being exported by the *current* owner. This is not the situation under discussion.

The correct link is:

https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

Please read the two links side by side. Both are basically the same procedure

1. Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book (V5C).

2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund (if you’re entitled to one) sent to your new address.

3. Keep the rest of your log book (V5C) - you need it to register your vehicle in the country you’re taking it to.

The only difference is that in one item 3 says keep the logbook (the vehicle is not changing ownership), in the other item 3 say give the log book (the vehicle is changing ownership) but the procedure to be followed with the DVLA is the same in both cases.

The only issue is that according to the OP the vehicle is not taxed so the current 'keeper' needs to put some tax on it so the OP can drive it to the ferry without the worry of falling foul of the law. Some might take the chance though.
    Insurance can be arranged in advance based on the UK registration number pending the issue of the RoI number

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jolkey

The dealer has now said that he will give me the full V5C so that's sorted. On road tax, he said this "We can just tax it then without putting another owner on the vehicle then you can sort once you get it over to Ireland" Will I be able to reclaim 5 months road tax from UK?

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Please read the two links side by side. Both are basically the same procedure

1. Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book (V5C).

2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter if you’ve moved abroad and want your vehicle tax refund (if you’re entitled to one) sent to your new address.

3. Keep the rest of your log book (V5C) - you need it to register your vehicle in the country you’re taking it to.

The only difference is that in one item 3 says keep the logbook (the vehicle is not changing ownership), in the other item 3 say give the log book (the vehicle is changing ownership) but the procedure to be followed with the DVLA is the same in both cases.

The only issue is that according to the OP the vehicle is not taxed so the current 'keeper' needs to put some tax on it so the OP can drive it to the ferry without the worry of falling foul of the law. Some might take the chance though.
    Insurance can be arranged in advance based on the UK registration number pending the issue of the RoI number
    Look, just accept that you gave the wrong advice/link. It's nothing personal, get over it.

The OP has the correct information now.

I won't be replying further to you on this issue.

@OP Yes, unused tax can be reclaimed.

Not your ornery onager

Look, just accept that you gave the wrong advice/link. It's nothing personal, get over it........................

Nice post. :(

Just clicked 'unfollow' botton

• Advertisement
Advertisement