Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche closing for day but still want payment.

Options
  • 12-02-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭

First of all sorry if this is not the correct forum so mods please feel free to move.

Basically the creche we send our two year old to will close one day in July for team bonding. I've no issues with this as it's plenty of notice to organise someone else to mind her but one of the staff has said we will still be expected to pay for the day. When we asked for clarification on this she said to ask the manager who said to ask the owner.

Just wondering is this standard practice and is it even legal to ask for payment of a service that is not provided.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would imagine the staff member got their wires crossed - no way they will expect you to pay for the day.

Chat to the owner and clarify.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

we had to last week when our after school closed in support of the child care strike. they weren't on strike but just closed for the day/

• Administrators Posts: 53,572 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea you probably pay.

The way it works is they will say you are generally paying for your childs place at the creche, rather than a specific number of hours a week.

Same with holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know some/most childminders charge for their holiday periods (thankfully ours just at 50%). Maybe this is in the same sphere???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do u pay by the month ? If so I'd say you will be paying. Ours closed last week for the protests, it'll still be the same amount per month.
    I didn't mind, might help the sector be more sustainable if they get a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Tzardine wrote: »
    I would imagine the staff member got their wires crossed - no way they will expect you to pay for the day.

Chat to the owner and clarify.

Oh yes they do. My daughter has to pay for her child and if ye don't like it, 'well you can always go elsewhere. '

Which, in reality you can't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why don't you take the day as a holiday? You will be paid for this holiday as well.

Advertisement