Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRC ADVICE that you do not need a solicitor

Options
  • 12-02-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I have a WRC hearing coming up. I had to go to them when my employer withheld some of my salary. The reasons don't matter, but I am wondering if I need to bring someone in with me? I expect they will send in a solicitor as they have one full time now to deal with all the staff issues they are having with their new fairly toxic approach to their staff.
    WRC say there is no need to have one with me.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry, cannot give legal advice here.
    However if your employer is saying you don't need a solicitor ask them to admit your claim in writing, explaining why it cannot be paid now
    Leaving open for general discussion subject to forum rules
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It is not the employer who is saying that the OP does not need a solicitor; it is the WRC.

What the WRC undoubtedly means is "our rules and procedures allow you to appear without a solicitor, and are designed to make this possible for you." They are not saying "your case is very straightforward and you will not need a solicitor to present it".

What the OP wants, I think, is somebody who has experience of practising before the OP who can say "yes, the WRC procedures and practices are very supportive of litigants in person, and you won't be prejudiced by not having professional to represent you" - or the reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can go it alone and people do, but I would not walk into a WRC hearing without a solicitor who has experience in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Not Invented Here

Thanks to all who replied.

Advertisement