Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish passport giveaway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As easy as it's always been. Thing is, now the Brits actually want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

So grubby and undignified with a straight cash deal.

Should be made spend one night at least on the porter, tog out for 20 mins at the end of a Junior B fixture, and be able to deliver Níl ina Lá on the tin whistle in front of a small crowd and cigire with no more than 2 mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

topper75 wrote: »
    So grubby and undignified with a straight cash deal.

Should be made spend one night at least on the porter, tog out for 20 mins at the end of a Junior B fixture, and be able to deliver Níl ina Lá on the tin whistle in front of a small crowd and cigire with no more than 2 mistakes.

where was cash mentioned in the article? If they are entitled to an irish passport they can apply. nothing has changed in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Thing is, now the Brits actually want them.

plenty of Brits with Irish heritage

Riskymove wrote: »

there has been a bit of a cascade type effect.

My father and his siblings are entitled to Irish passports, but my generation isn't. However, one of my Aunts has claimed one and so three of my cousins can now apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Riskymove wrote: »

Yeah, but I think the issue here is if and when they start representing ireland or our interests, possibly in negotiations with the UK.

Now I'm entitled to a UK passport, as is my brother, I lived there once for about 6 months and while I like the UK and UK people, there is no way that I would put their interests above Ireland's if I were to be given a UK passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

Quite a few inaccuracies in that article. Although proportionality may be an overall target, EU officials are certainly not employed on a proportionate basis.

I also cannot see how it matters to the Irish government how "proper" Irish passport can be identified. It not like there is a list of those to be influence in order to favour the Irish position. It might happen at SecGen/Head of Cabinet level, but not where 99% of staff work.

I know a few people working in the Institutions and it's a decent job if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

We give out passports far too easily. It's almost frightening.... Five years and you can get a passport...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rufeo wrote: »
    We give out passports far too easily. It's almost frightening.... Five years and you can get a passport...

If you can afford it. 200 odd to apply for citizenship, totalling almost a grand if you're successful.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

This has more to do with our ancestors spreading our DNA across the the world liberally than crap policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All you need is a parent or grandparent who had one.

A lot quicker and cheaper than the naturalisation route.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's lots of UK born people of Irish parentage who don't self-identify as anything other than Irish, and some a generation further whom are proud of their heritage.

Of course, had they been born in France or Germany they'd probably be regarded as 'Irish Nationals born overseas', be born in England, brought back home an hour later on the next Aer Lingus, never set foot in Sasana again and you still won't 'be Irish' for some people.

Advertisement