Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a white goods product back to shop if 'you don't like it'

Options
  • 12-02-2020 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all , just a bit of advice really - how does the consumer stand if they have bought a large white goods item - got it home, plugged it in, tried it out but just turns out dont like it and wish they would have gone for another model? - is there any 'cooling off' feature in the sale or is it just not a good enough excuse that the purchaser doesnt like the product and wants to return it at the store

in our case its a Tumble dryer bought from a Currys PCWorld store over the weekend. There is only so much you can see in store, obviously because you cannot see/hear the item plugged in and in operation. You have to wait until you get it home.

I wont blame if Currys refuse to take it back for a refund but just really want to see if there is any chance or how the consumer law stands on this kind of thing in Ireland.

Its just our last tumble drier lasted over 5 years - and my first impressions in this one we just bought is that we have bought wrong make/model and if possible if I am not happy at the moment then be lumbered with it for another 5 years (if it lasts that long) .

Here is issues:
    All the packaging (polystyrene and plastic) was taken off at the store by the warehouse guy because it would not fit in the back of the car with it on + we didnt want all that packaging anyway.

The tumble dryer has been used now - we had to use it to see how it operated, how it performed, how noisy it was, its features etc..

The Vent hose that came with the machine is now extended and used.

All the instructions and that where taken out of their plastic packaging.

The Tumble Dryer I am thinking of getting is €20 dearer but here's the thing , i dont think Currys list it / have it in stock but euronics store has it listed so would have to take it back and get a refund.

Its obviously a used item now even though 3 times we have used it.

I dont hold much hope but just wondered if there is a glimmer in consumer law to return it maybe and get a full refund. I have heard of a 'distance selling law' but I think thats another thing isnt it , if you buy it online isnt it?

If there is no chance of returning it and we are stuck with it , then theres nothing to be done. its our fault for not doing enough research before buying I suppose - Maybe in time we will get used to it - or sell it later on at a loss and then get the other one . But i just thought I would check how we stand at the moment.

thanks for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As long as it's fit for purpose, of merchantable quality, conforms to the description given to you when you bought it, etc, you have no right to return it. There is no cooling-off period for goods that you bought in a shop, and saw before you bought.

You're entirely in the hands of the store, and dependent on their goodwill. As you point out, the item is a used item now, and worth a fraction of what you paid for it when new. If you wanted to return it to buy a much more expensive model from the same store, they might entertain you, but for a refund? No harm in asking, but I wouldn't fancy your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Peregrinus wrote: »
    As long as it's fit for purpose, of merchantable quality, conforms to the description given to you when you bought it, etc, you have no right to return it. There is no cooling-off period for goods that you bought in a shop, and saw before you bought.

You're entirely in the hands of the store, and dependent on their goodwill. As you point out, the item is a used item now, and worth a fraction of what you paid for it when new. If you wanted to return it to buy a much more expensive model from the same store, they might entertain you, but for a refund? No harm in asking, but I wouldn't fancy your chances.

Ah right thanks. Just as i thought. Will have to learn to like it then . In one way i totally find it understandable , in another way theres no way you can plug something such as a tumble dryer in the store and see it working . If your walking around same said store you can listen to a hifi system and if the sound is bad or the display has not showing what you want or a feature that you want is missing you can move onto the next one and pick the one you like , before purchase. Again, with a tv you can see the tv working in store , see its picture and sound and features all working before purchase. .. but something like a tumble dryer or washing machine , no joy. You dont know until you get it home , plug it in ,turn it on before you know you have purchased the wrong one or not.
    I dont know how they could sucessfully do that in these bricks and mortar stores like currys , most probably have to plumb in a couple of washing machines and install a couple of dryers if they wanted to show consumers it working before they purchased it, if that was a possibility . And i dont know or havent heard of any stores or electic shops doing that ever

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ah right thanks. Just as i thought. Will have to learn to like it then . In one way i totally find it understandable , in another way theres no way you can plug something such as a tumble dryer in the store and see it working . If your walking around same said store you can listen to a hifi system and if the sound is bad or the display has not showing what you want or a feature that you want is missing you can move onto the next one and pick the one you like , before purchase. Again, with a tv you can see the tv working in store , see its picture and sound and features all working before purchase. .. but something like a tumble dryer or washing machine , no joy. You dont know until you get it home , plug it in ,turn it on before you know you have purchased the wrong one or not.
    I dont know how they could sucessfully do that in these bricks and mortar stores like currys , most probably have to plumb in a couple of washing machines and install a couple of dryers if they wanted to show consumers it working before they purchased it, if that was a possibility . And i dont know or havent heard of any stores or electic shops doing that ever

What can you not like about a tumble dryer or washing machine to make you consider you bought the wrong one? They all have their noise, weight limits and energy ratings on them what else do you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Their return policy is here

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/returns-cancellations-1043-theme.html

It doesn't look like they accept used items (understandable). You've no legal rights for a item that you just don't like.
    But there is no harm in calling and being nice about it and maybe you're lucky.
    An unwanted product can be returned for a full refund within 21 days of delivery as long as it’s still in its original, unopened packaging. This returns policy for unopened goods is in addition to your statutory rights and applies to purchases made in store, online or over the phone.

Separately to the 21 day policy above, and in accordance with your rights when you purchase goods online or over the phone, unwanted items can be returned even if you have opened them for inspection as long as you let us know within 14 calendar days from the day after delivery. Once you have told us you want to return an item, you should do so without undue delay and not later than 14 days from the day on which you informed us of your decision to cancel the order. You can examine the goods as you would in a shop but to obtain a full refund you must not start using them, install them or input any data/software. The goods must be returned in ‘as new’ condition and in their original packaging.
    Returns and exchanges can only be processed with proof of purchase. This can be the sales receipt, a bank statement or an online sales invoice. Please provide your order numbers when you return a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP I think the only way they might accept a return on t s is if you were upgrading to a more expensive model buy it looks like you said they don’t stock the model you want? Good luck

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    What can you not like about a tumble dryer or washing machine to make you consider you bought the wrong one? They all have their noise, weight limits and energy ratings on them what else do you need to know?

just niggly design oddities that wouldnt phase most people really, and a couple of quality issues only found out when got home unpacked plugged in and used that may or may not pose in my mind a problem later on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah Andy, what you're looking for is a "change of mind" policy which a retailer may well have but there's no legal enforcement of it.
    If the item is faulty/not fit for purpose, that's obviously a different thing altogether. Either way, there's no harm in asking them if they can do something for you, I'm sure they have some scope to deal in a case by case basis.

And if you should "happen to find a fault" ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-51464394

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

in our case its a Tumble dryer bought from a Currys PCWorld store over the weekend. There is only so much you can see in store, obviously because you cannot see/hear the item plugged in and in operation. You have to wait until you get it home.

Was there a model on display in the store? Because if there was, that scuppers any remote possibility of them taking back your machine. Given that it's not faulty, the only conceivable reason for taking your machine back would be to put it on the showroom floor as a display model. If that is not an option for them then they have no way of explaining to their bean counters why they took it back. So they won't.

Even if you had an appliance that had had several visits from the repair guy and still refused to work, their solution of last resort would be to take it back and replace it with the same model. You're looking for a full refund which is a step beyond even that and without consumer law on your side, I can't see it happening, especially in the case of a chain like Currys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Think of it this way. You took it home and plugged it in. Now it is second hand. Would you walk into a store and buy a second hand appliance?

It is a change of mind issue, you can ask, but they are under no obligation to take it back. What are they going to do with it? Sell it cheap? Will you pay for the discount they have to give?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Did you receive a used item? Surely when you buy an item it should come in it's packaging.

Not having the correct delivery van is not a reason to remove packaging.

I wouldn't accept a package like that, could be a store model or a returned item.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you receive a used item? Surely when you buy an item it should come in it's packaging.

Not having the correct delivery van is not a reason to remove packaging.

I wouldn't accept a package like that, could be a store model or a returned item.

The OP took the tumble dryer home himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The OP took the tumble dryer home himself.

Sorry I read it as the warehouse took it off, didn't cop it was for their car. Didn't realise you could pick up from a warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sell online?
    Take a slight loss.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sorry I read it as the warehouse took it off, didn't cop it was for their car. Didn't realise you could pick up from a warehouse.

That’s how Curry's and Harvey Norman work near me anyway

Sell online?
    Take a slight loss.

big loss i have found in the past . I hate selling stuff secondhand. time wasters, people not turning up , then not wanting to buy for price it was advertised .. then want you to stand over a guarantee even if you sold it to them second hand .

No, I think going to have to keep it. Its not a bad tumble dryer at the end of the day, its just me most probably being a perfectionist and wanting it to be like our previous model but everything is made cheaper these days isnt it. I can see where they have saved money on this new on compared to their old version. time will tell , might be / work out OK

Advertisement