Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really bad WiFi and ridiculous landlord (asking for a friend)

Options
  • 11-02-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is a tenant in a house he does not want to leave, but he cannot receive a strong enough WiFi signal. He's currently using his phone to get net connectivity to his PC.

The landlord is impossible.

They will not allow my friend the following =

He cannot run a cable to his room

He cannot install his own more powerful router beside the landlords router

He cannot use power line adapters.

He's got an internal PCi express 2.4 ghz card. (not a very high end model).

Has anyone got any products suggestions on wifi receivers that might help my friend? Or any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

What has he got against powerline adapters. A netgear home plug would work a treat or a WIFI extender plug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Praetorian wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a tenant in a house he does not want to leave, but he cannot receive a strong enough WiFi signal. He's currently using his phone to get net connectivity to his PC.
    This is a useable solution. In my opinion, wifi is nothing to do with the landlord & your friend should have organised his own solution.
    The landlord is impossible.

They will not allow my friend the following =
    According to your friend, but has he reasonably discussed things with him & got reasons why?
    He cannot run a cable to his room
    I get this, it could be a trip hazard & may end up either being an insurance risk or causing damage to property
    He cannot install his own more powerful router beside the landlords router
    Why did he ask if he could?
    He cannot use power line adapters.
    Is it usual to ask permission to plug something in?
    He's got an internal PCi express 2.4 ghz card. (not a very high end model).
    nothing to do with the landlord
    Has anyone got any products suggestions on wifi receivers that might help my friend? Or any other ideas?

There's many possible solutions (using his phone is actually one of them). Just get some decent power line adapters & plug them in. Don't ask permission, don't even mention them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the extender probably won't work as the landlord wont give access to the modem.

Re: powerline. The landlord is unreasonable, and is "worried about it drawing power, and is suspicious about it in general"

My best idea is a better pci express card, possibly with with an external antennae? Or a larger antennae

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Is he sharing with the landlord ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the extender probably won't work as the landlord wont give access to the modem.

Re: powerline. The landlord is unreasonable, and is "worried about it drawing power, and is suspicious about it in general"

My best idea is a better pci express card, possibly with with an external antennae? Or a larger antennae

you can get an extender, and all you need is the SSID and Wifi password from the landords router which you have.

Plug this in the bedroom close to the wall the router is located, or if sneaky when Landlord isnt about, in the hall way. Setup to extend the WIFI or you can set it to your own WIFI network and hide the SSID and it'll work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00NIUHAG6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Cool, good suggestion, we could try that.

Advertisement