Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing method suitable for corragated conduit in a chased wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

I was wondering what fixing method would be suitable for corragated conduit in a chased wall.

I'm using 20 conduit.

I was thinking of using these R clamps, pre drill a hole and fix the clamps with some Concrete screws 6 X 40mm.

Would this suffice?

Here's the R clamps.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HNS6SHT/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

IhUjogM.png

Why wouldn’t you use oval wavin with clips instead. Much cheaper and a better job. All chasing should be vertical or horizontal to the outlet.

Galvo band would do what you require though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

http://www.discount-electrical.co.uk/product.php/167260/galvanised-steel-crampet-20mm/52d9a606955d4ad5f27e5b0704a82082

I've always used these, with rawlplugs.
    I'm not sure how flush they will be with the existing plaster. There was always a sand and cement and plaster coat on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

Thanks.

That's a funny looking yoke. How are they fixed with rawlplugs? I done a google image search but just shows the crampet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Thanks.

That's a funny looking yoke. How are they fixed with rawlplugs? I done a google image search but just shows the crampet.

Drill a 5.5mm hole, fit the rawlplug and hammer the crampet spike in to the hole. You hit the flat piece to the right of the hook with the hammer, sometimes you use a coal chisel to drive it home.
    Similar to the below but in masonry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=r9Qu2DU8R6U&feature=emb_logo

meercat wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t you use oval wavin with clips instead. Much cheaper and a better job. All chasing should be vertical or horizontal to the outlet.

Galvo band would do what you require though

I'm an Architectural Tech by trade so having horzontal and vertical runs I know. :)

Never thought of that. Looks cheap as chips this method. Some of them plastic clips are wild expensive for what they do.

Have used oval stuff before but it might be easier to fish the wires into the 20mm round corragated stuff. Plus the filled plaster will grab onto the corragated pipe much better which is my main reason for going with it.
    The Mulk wrote: »
    Drill a 5.5mm hole, fit the rawlplug and hammer the crampet spike in to the hole. You hit the flat piece to the right of the hook with the hammer, sometimes you use a coal chisel to drive it home.
    Similar to the below but in masonry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=r9Qu2DU8R6U&feature=emb_logo

Oh, I did think they were for stud walls alright. Very interesting method to do this.

Think I'll go will the galvinised straps. I may have some of that lying around.

For 10m it's only 5eur and it's a handy thing to have for other jobs.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Purpose-Perforated-Galvanised-Fixing/dp/B0098ICTEA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=galvanised+strap&qid=1581355182&sr=8-4

• Advertisement

I asked over on screwfix whether or not the corragated stuff was suitable for buring in walls and they said no which seems strange.

Are there any regs that prohibit flexible conduit in this application.

I really wanted to use this stuff for the plaster to adhere better to it.

Here's the reply.

N8dUCiq.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I asked over on screwfix whether or not the corragated stuff was suitable for buring in walls and they said no which seems strange.

They are the wrong people to ask in my opinion. I have seen it used all over the EU for this purpose. My preference is for oval wavin, it has always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

2011 wrote: »
    They are the wrong people to ask in my opinion. I have seen it used all over the EU for this purpose. My preference is for oval wavin, it has always worked for me.

+1 I agree
    I've used 2" garden pond hose in my living room wall to carry network cables, sattelite feeds, aerial feeds and telephone cable to/from the attic with enough space for future use.

I've also used 1.5" flexible drain pipe in a bedroom upstairs to run HDMI cables and aerial in to a television mounted on the wall, it's fixed in place and allows free movement of the contents
    I used some galvoband to secure until plaster covered it.

Also used rectangular air duct to bring cables down through the ceiling on to the top of a wardrobe.

All featured here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/#comments

2011 wrote: »

Is that the 25mm stuff? Ideally, I would like enough room for 2no. 2.5mm² cable.
    LenWoods wrote: »
    +1 I agree
    I've used 2" garden pond hose in my living room wall to carry network cables, sattelite feeds, aerial feeds and telephone cable to/from the attic with enough space for future use.

I've also used 1.5" flexible drain pipe in a bedroom upstairs to run HDMI cables and aerial in to a television mounted on the wall, it's fixed in place and allows free movement of the contents
    I used some galvoband to secure until plaster covered it.

Also used rectangular air duct to bring cables down through the ceiling on to the top of a wardrobe.

All featured here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/#comments

Cool, neat and big project you got going on there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may use that 32mm stuff for a 1m HDMi and monitor power cable run inside the stud wall and terminating at 2 of these.

v0AVShJ.jpg

---

I will definitely read more about the rads buried in the wall. I'm just about to do that same type myself. The spray foam is a good idea, I was going to go with some duct tape and some white 10mm foam we have lying around. I also could get away with proper pipe insultation which I propably end up doing along with some tin foil lol.. I don't want cracks to appear at all.

For the settlement crack, check this TOH video for epoxying these sort of cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Is that the 25mm stuff? Ideally, I would like enough room for 2no. 2.5mm² cable.

Cool, neat and big project you got going on there.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may use that 32mm stuff for a 1m HDMi and monitor power cable run inside the stud wall and terminating at 2 of these.

v0AVShJ.jpg

---

I will definitely read more about the rads buried in the wall. I'm just about to do that same type myself. The spray foam is a good idea, I was going to go with some duct tape and some white 10mm foam we have lying around. I also could get away with proper pipe insultation which I propably end up doing along with some tin foil lol.. I don't want cracks to appear at all.

For the settlement crack, check this TOH video for epoxying these sort of cracks.

Thanks,
    Those are called "brush plates" I've used them on the bedroom install's within the thread
    I recommend Amazon for HDMI cables and the brush plates, if going for network cables I recommend CAT7 or cat8 as there future compatable

I used woodies brand of expanding foam for the large areas which also acts as lagging for the pipes,
    Then Ronseal ready mixed filler which is super light and easy to sand, goes on like shaving foam
    I leveled it using a long screed purchased from Mr.price
    I then put a bit of red paint from a Fleetwood sample pot cost €2 to paint the location of the pipes down where the lad fitting the floor can see to ensure he doesn't put a nail through a heating pipe,

Have the pipes hidden not only looks better but makes it easier to clean the floor without obstruction

• Advertisement

I'm only routing cables from a pc to two monitors above. So there'll be two power cables to a UPS and the HDMi and a display port.

I only use Gyproc easi-fill compound for cosmetic filling or Gyproc thistle bond for deeper holes like the chasing that I'll be doing.

Ready mix filler is horrible or any that I've tried at least and much more expensive in the long run. A 10kg bag of easifill is around 35EUR.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/British-Gypsum-Gyproc-Easi-Fill-10kg/dp/B00CITGMNU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=EASIFILL&qid=1581597995&sr=8-1

I usually put a little PVA in the mix also and it's like butter and the easiest sanding filler I've ever used.

I fill 90% of the chase with cheap boggo skimcoat .It shrinks and cracks like fook but then finish with the easi-fill.
    Then I use pre mixed to finish if needed.
    You can get tubs of pre mixed in deals/mr price for 1.49 and its actually good.

You can get tubs of pre mixed in deals/mr price for 1.49 and its actually good.

Never tried anything else since I've descovered easi-fill. The time you lose mixing it will be gained back when it comes to sanding if it's a decent size area plus you're in complete control of how stiff you want the mix from the get-go.

Advertisement