Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engineers report whats next step?

Options
  • 09-02-2020 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

My elderly neighbour tripped on a visit to a museum on a wet step 2 years ago she fractured her leg but has since recovered. The engineers report was completed last week she's asking what are the next steps in this case, she's had the medical part done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You mentioned an engineer and a 'medical part'. Who engaged these professionals i.e. who is driving the process? Whoever it is, that's who you need to put those questions to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

As Coylemk says refer to whoever contacted the engineer - I presume that was the solicitor.
    Two years you say. Have proceedings issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

nuac wrote: »
    Two years you say. Have proceedings issued?

Getting those statute of limitations sweats?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

randomrb wrote: »

I'd be very surprised if that is the case here.

In my experience, engineering inspections usually don't take place until after legal proceedings have commenced as the engineering inspections are usually a joint affair between the defendant's and the plaintiff's engineers.

If the solicitor can organise medicals and an engineering inspection, I'd expect them to be able to keep an eye on the statute of limitations.

I'd say the OP is just curious about the process.

The next steps are for the legal/insurance teams for both sides to examine their respective engineering reports to see if it can be determined where liability rests.

With respect to Battlecorp I have always tried to to arrange inspections and photos asap.
    By accident or design the scene can change literally overnight. Potholes filled in, signage improved, guards put on machinery etc etc

• Advertisement

randomrb wrote: »

Indeed; it is amazing how quickly two years can pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

nuac wrote: »
    With respect to Battlecorp I have always tried to to arrange inspections and photos asap.
    By accident or design the scene can change literally overnight. Potholes filled in, signage improved, guards put on machinery etc etc

I agree with you 100% but sadly that isn't always the case. I've seen engineering inspections 4 years after the incident happened and all machinery etc. involved had been long disposed of.

Quick question and I think I know the answer but couldn't a company (the Museum etc.) refuse to allow an engineering inspection unless legal proceedings had begun?

A kind of 'get off my property' scenario.

Advertisement