Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluminium rads

Options
  • 07-02-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I have low heat aluminium rads installed in our house with underfloor heating downstairs using air to water heat pump. When they were installed, the installers recommended putting the rads on a timer, which I have done for the last 2 years. I tinkered with the times but have settled on 1. 17:00 to 02:00, and 2. 05:00 to 07:00

A few different people have said to me that I shouldn't program the rads upstairs, it's more efficient to just leave them on all the time.

Seems a waste as we don't need heat up there most of the time.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have low heat aluminium rads installed in our house with underfloor heating downstairs using air to water heat pump. When they were installed, the installers recommended putting the rads on a timer, which I have done for the last 2 years. I tinkered with the times but have settled on 1. 17:00 to 02:00, and 2. 05:00 to 07:00

A few different people have said to me that I shouldn't program the rads upstairs, it's more efficient to just leave them on all the time.

Seems a waste as we don't need heat up there most of the time.
    Any suggestions?

sounds like the system isnt zoned then?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sounds like the system isnt zoned then?

Sorry, I should clarify - the underfloor downstairs is zone 1 and it is left on all the time. The upstairs rads are zone 2 and they are timed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sorry, I should clarify - the underfloor downstairs is zone 1 and it is left on all the time. The upstairs rads are zone 2 and they are timed.

I have a similar setup.... HP with UFH downstairs and alu-rads upstairs.

They are also zoned and I have it stat controlled rather than timer based like you. So, upstairs is "on" all the time but once it hits temp it shuts upstairs down. Works fine. If you dont use upstairs just set the upstairs stat lower.... like 16°C or something.

Not sure that using a timer is appropriate to be honest as HP's dont typically work on timers. They run 24/7 as they work on weather compensating controls. So, the HP could be trying to pump heat into the house at a time when your timers are off and vice versa... timers on but HP considers the house hot enough so delivers no heat to upstairs.

KCross wrote: »
    I have a similar setup.... HP with UFH downstairs and alu-rads upstairs.

They are also zoned and I have it stat controlled rather than timer based like you. So, upstairs is "on" all the time but once it hits temp it shuts upstairs down. Works fine. If you dont use upstairs just set the upstairs stat lower.... like 16°C or something.

Not sure that using a timer is appropriate to be honest as HP's dont typically work on timers. They run 24/7 as they work on weather compensating controls. So, the HP could be trying to pump heat into the house at a time when your timers are off and vice versa... timers on but HP considers the house hot enough so delivers no heat to upstairs.

Yes we have them on stat too, at 19°C which we find is about right for bedrooms. The air to water unit is on the wall outside and below our window, so we can hear it when it comes on. Wouldn't like to have it on all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yes we have them on stat too, at 19°C which we find is about right for bedrooms. The air to water unit is on the wall outside and below our window, so we can hear it when it comes on. Wouldn't like to have it on all night.

But it comes on anyway, right?

Since you already have stats I dont know why you have timers as well. What benefit do you see by having the timers? If the house it at 19°C 24/7 what do the timers do for you?

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    But it comes on anyway, right?

Since you already have stats I dont know why you have timers as well. What benefit do you see by having the timers? If the house it at 19°C 24/7 what do the timers do for you?

The rooms get colder than 19, especially if the doors are left open. Its reading18.5 now. Also don't want to hear the pump coming on outside in the middle of the night. At the moment it will come on at 5.00 at the earliest. And we don't need the heating on past 6.30 or 7am when we're usually gone from the rooms.

Advertisement