Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orwell Randonnee 2020

Options
  • 06-02-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

The Orwell Randonnee is on sale and filling up quickly - only 200 entries left!

As has become tradition, it’s taking place Saturday 2nd of May@ 09:00 am the bank holiday weekend.

A key milestone in the annual sportive calendar. The Randonnee promises to be a fantastic day for any rider seeking an early-season challenge.
    Due to popular demand we've re-introduced the original lite route which consists of 126km and 1887 meters climbing, still a tough challenge and not for the faint-hearted. The main route will include Wicklow Gap, Lugalla and the Wall with 146km and 2223 meters climbing which will certainly test any rider.

Again this year we are proud to be associated with the Dundrum Arch Club our chosen charity - This is a social club for people with intellectual disabilities that meets every Wednesday evening in Ballinteer Community School. This Charity is serviced fully by Volunteers with all proceeds going towards benefiting the members directly. For further information please check out www.dundrumarchclub.com

For details and routes see: https://www.orwellwheelers.org/events/randonnee/1310-orwell-randonee-2020

To register: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-randonnee-2020-tickets-61987394967

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sshhh, don't tell them about the second time up the Sally Gap

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Signed up. Now to get a bit of training in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Signed up. Dreadfully out of shape though. Seriously need to start training

Corker1 wrote: »
    Signed up. Now to get a bit of training in the hills.

You might want to give it a few days

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1226841712150155266?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

totally impassable == guaranteed fun on an MTB

• Advertisement

I'm guessing, this won't be going ahead.
    Can anybody confirm one way or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm guessing, this won't be going ahead.
    Can anybody confirm one way or the other?

I mailed them last week and they couldn’t say, they were just following advice from cycling Ireland.....

At the moment it’s still happening until we’re advised otherwise from CI or Government Depts.

Any changes we will advise directly with participants and through our Club website and social media channels.

Kind Regards

Orwell Wheelers Randonnee Committee

I wonder does anybody believe that Cycling Ireland will not extend their ban on cycling events beyond 29th March.

I’d be very surprised if this goes ahead to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I’d be very surprised if this goes ahead to be honest

Thats a pity, but prudent. Hopefully it get restaged later in the year. A lot of events are going to be affected.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thats a pity, but prudent. Hopefully it get restaged later in the year. A lot of events are going to be affected.

Ye was looking forward to it, going to keep up the training as of it’s on I suppose, hopefully it’s just rescheduled and we can do it later in the year,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I wonder does anybody believe that Cycling Ireland will not extend their ban on cycling events beyond 29th March.

Anyone who does is being naive IMHO, June/July if everything goes well before any signs of restrictions being lifted, and even then, it will be small piecemeal lifting. I would not expect any cycling or sports events before September. Obviously things change but at the minute that would be my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just got an email from Naas CC to say that the Tour de Foothills has been postponed to 6 September. I was given the option of an entry fee refund or leaving it with them for September. I won't be too surprised to get something similar from Orwell in a few weeks. Shame, but perfectly understandable and sensible.

Only 3 days from my last post and the unwelcome email from Orwell arrived announcing the postponement of the Randonnée. No mention of a new date yet or of refunds if it doesn't suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

Only 3 days from my last post and the unwelcome email from Orwell arrived announcing the postponement of the Randonnée. No mention of a new date yet or of refunds if it doesn't suit.

we are currently trying to firm up a new date but as you can imagine a lot of events are in the same boat. We have one in mind and as soon as we have it confirmed we will let everyone know. For anyone who would rather not participate on the new date we will of course look after you.

It was a really tough decision, not one that was made easily. We pride ourselves (hopefully rightly) on running a quality but tough event, we have never had to cancel before - even when the weather gods were against us we came up with an alternative route and contingency plans at the last minute but there are strange times indeed.

Look after yourselves, be safe and healthy and rest assured we will be in touch soon about the new date - there is no escaping the torture of the Orwell Randonnee;)

I'm feeling bad for organisers of all sportives that have had to be cancelled. Particularly the Orwell Randonnee seeing as I was signed up. ;) But I suppose that being able to partake in sporting and social events,(lets face it sportives count under both headings) are a part of the the normality that we will have to leave behind for the next few months until we get this virus under control. I get the feeling that we are barely into this Covid-19 situation in Ireland when you look at what is going on in Italy, Spain and France. Many of the postponed Sportives have been put back to September. I hope I am wrong, but I think we will still be in the thick of it then. I am a big believer in having something to look forward to as a motivator and just to pull us towards the future but I am afraid that 2020 might just have a big red pen strike through it when it comes to all sporting events. Even the Olympics in August, the biggest festival of sport in the world has had to succumb to the reality that keeping populations healthy and alive trumps the magnificent spectacle of sporting achievements. Us sportive riders may not be Olympians but we scale our own heights of personal achievement every time we sign on at the start line and do our thing. It's a pity we have to put all that on hold for now. But we will all ride again when the time is right and we will once more experience the camaraderie of the sportive peloton with the whiff of sunscreen in our nostrils. The good times will roll again my friends.

we are currently trying to firm up a new date but as you can imagine a lot of events are in the same boat. We have one in mind and as soon as we have it confirmed we will let everyone know. For anyone who would rather not participate on the new date we will of course look after you.

It was a really tough decision, not one that was made easily. We pride ourselves (hopefully rightly) on running a quality but tough event, we have never had to cancel before - even when the weather gods were against us we came up with an alternative route and contingency plans at the last minute but there are strange times indeed.

Look after yourselves, be safe and healthy and rest assured we will be in touch soon about the new date - there is no escaping the torture of the Orwell Randonnee;)

Apologies if my comment was a bit abrupt and thoughtless. I fully appreciate the incredible work that all sportive organisers put in and have had so many fantastic tough days on the bike thanks to clubs like yourselves, Naas, Reservoir Cogs, SERC, Swords, etc, etc. As Corker says, the good times will roll again :)

Apologies if my comment was a bit abrupt and thoughtless. I fully appreciate the incredible work that all sportive organisers put in and have had so many fantastic tough days on the bike thanks to clubs like yourselves, Naas, Reservoir Cogs, SERC, Swords, etc, etc. As Corker says, the good times will roll again :)

Never thought that for a minute!

I know you are a loyal Randonnee supporter - hopefully we will see you on the new date and this year I might even get to say hello;)

I wouldn't have thought that about your post either Mercian Pro. And sorry if my last post was a tad bleak in tone. Keep safe and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Reneging on carrot cake promises can easily lead to frayed tempers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

Hi lads. Wondering if there is any update on this? Is there news of a potential date in 2020 or is there a process for Refunds. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance

We have had an alternative date on hold with CI but we have been waiting on the latest announcement from the government to see if it was practical, safe or even sensible to go ahead or to if we should cancel for this year.

will have an final update early next week we promise - just finalising the logistics and getting sign off at next committee meeting on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Would have been a great day for it today too... a real shame. Was so looking forward to it as the first big event of the year. A perfect May cycling day today.. wonder if anyone sneakily taking on the route today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Provisional date seems to be 1st August. Hopefully goes ahead. Was looking forward to it. Perfect weather for if today.

Following on from our committee meeting tonight the very tough decision has been made to cancel the Orwell Randonnee for 2020.

An email is going out to all those who had signed up:

We had set a revised provisional date of 1st August. However, we were anxiously waiting on the lastest government announcements before communicating. Sadly the latest statement doesn't allow for us to run the event as planned.

We are all very disappointed with this news, and we would like to thank everyone involved with the Randonnee for their understanding and patience.

All participants who entered will receive a full refund. Your refund will be made to you shortly through Eventbrite. You don't need to do anything - it will be automatic and there are no fees involved.

Your health and well being are paramount, we hope to be back next year 1st May 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Understandable decision, I feel for anyone trying to organise events this year. Looking forward to participating whenever the next edition takes place.

^^^^^
    +1 on that.
    If my god spares me, I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Ah that’s a pity. Always a great day out and one of the best run events. Understandable decision and I’ll be there next year too hopefully.

Shame, was looking forward to my first time this year!! Suppose more time to train for next years event!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement