Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new bike/Canyon question

Options
  • 06-02-2020 12:13pm

At the end of this month, I am buying a new bike. Not having the space to keep the number of bikes I would like, this will be my all round nicer weather bike. The first thing this has to do, is get me through the Majorca 312 (well, 225k of it anyway) and the Wicklow 200.

I am looking at spending around 3 to €3.5k and this Endurace seems to be an incredibly good buy.

I have looked at the Dolans and the Ribble and still come back to Canyon. Before I pull the trigger, is there anything I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

At RRP I don't think you will get a better bike than that for the money.

The only thing I'd suggest is to look around sales of last years' models and see if you can come across anything (the only thing I'd want to upgrade on that Canyon is the wheels). E.g. the 3T Strada on Merlin is possibly a better deal (although different geometry and I wouldn't fancy doing Mallorca 312 with that gearing).

I had thought about last year's models, but they are...last year so to speak! This is a bike i plan to keep for several years and so I want something as up to date as possible.

I had considered this Willier, which comes with a shockingly poor set of wheels for the money, but stick a set of Fulcrum Racing 3s on there and it would be a decent bike

The 3T strada is a great deal, but I'm looking for more of a limousine than a drag racer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Aegir wrote: »
    I had thought about last year's models, but they are...last year so to speak! This is a bike i plan to keep for several years and so I want something as up to date as possible.

I had considered this Willier, which comes with a shockingly poor set of wheels for the money, but stick a set of Fulcrum Racing 3s on there and it would be a decent bike

The 3T strada is a great deal, but I'm looking for more of a limousine than a drag racer :D

The Willier wouldn’t be a patch on the Canyon. If you have the money then buy the best you can now rather than having to upgrade a lesser bike.

The Willier wouldn’t be a patch on the Canyon. If you have the money then buy the best you can now rather than having to upgrade a lesser bike.

isn't it? I don't know much about Wilier, but I fancy owning one for some reason:confused:

with what you said in mind and CGNS's comment about upgrading the wheels, I am now thinking of cancelling Christmas for this yer and splashing out the extra €800 for the aero version https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0-aero-di2/2397.html?dwvar_2397_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&dwvar_2397_pv_rahmengroesse=2XS

I think Hunt do a decent set of aero carbon wheels for 799 GBP - if you are trying to use fewer bikes it might be worth just getting a second set of wheels

• Advertisement

I think Hunt do a decent set of aero carbon wheels for 799 GBP - if you are trying to use fewer bikes it might be worth just getting a second set of wheels

that cockpit on the canyon though......

Might be worth keeping an eye on the Canyon outlet too - sometimes you can pick up a bargain there and it can be just a new bike that was returned.

If I needed a new bike I'd buy that aero one for what it's worth. There's an SLX nearly new for sale near me and I'm having to keep myself from buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Just to note - The ultimate is lighter has the aero cockpit and is cheaper than the endurace aero

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2159.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

flatface wrote: »
    Just to note - The ultimate is lighter has the aero cockpit and is cheaper than the endurace aero

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/race-bikes/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2159.html

I'm on my 2nd Ultimate and I can't fault them.

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'm on my 2nd Ultimate and I can't fault them.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/outlet/road-bikes/ultimate-cf-slx-9.0-ltd/1135.html

Great value €3799 for Super Record and Bora wheels!!

• Advertisement

is the ultimate not a bit aggressive for a fat fifty year old to be romping around mountains on?

is the ultimate not a bit aggressive for a fat fifty year old to be romping around mountains on?

To be honest, I found it extremely comfortable. I also had a new Argon 18 Krypton disc, which is their endurance bike. While the Krypton was a nice bike, my Ultimate SLX 09.0 was the one that I looked forward to using. I'm 57 and wouldn't be as aero as I used to be :o. I replaced the SLX with another Ultimate this year as the original one was a tad too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

that cockpit on the canyon though......

Have an Endurace myself with the cockpit.. and it really does make for a slick setup, and don't forget the integrated out front mount for the Garmin.

OP.. lovely bike and very comfortable. I have mine 18 months and got with Ultegra Disc and Ksyrium Elite's; great bike and very happy with it.

Have an Endurace myself with the cockpit.. and it really does make for a slick setup, and don't forget the integrated out front mount for the Garmin.

OP.. lovely bike and very comfortable. I have mine 18 months and got with Ultegra Disc and Ksyrium Elite's; great bike and very happy with it.

Do Canyons come with the front brake on the left, or on the right as we per the Irish standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Do Canyons come with the front brake on the left, or on the right as we per the Irish standard?

Mine came front brake-right, rear brake-left.

And it’s arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

And it’s arrived.
    thats the colour i want but its been out of stock in my size for weeks,and canyon cant tell me when or if they are getting them back in

thats the colour i want but its been out of stock in my size for weeks,and canyon cant tell me when or if they are getting them back in

the colour is what made me go for this and not the aero version. I went for a 30k lunch time spin and smashed several personal bests. the bike is just fast, yet very comfortable as well.

I can't wait for Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭ratracer

Thats a beautiful looking machine. Wishing you many happy miles on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

And it’s arrived.

Beauty. Mind if I ask the model and final price?

• Advertisement

rcklap wrote: »
    Beauty. Mind if I ask the model and final price?

Endurance CF SL 8.0 Di2.

It was €3199 plus €53 for postage and packaging.

I ordered it Friday and it came Wednesday, so pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Endurance CF SL 8.0 Di2.

Awh what a beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Endurance CF SL 8.0 Di2.

That must be some sort of record for a Canyon bike shipped to Ireland!

Advertisement