Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooker breakdown with repairs cover

Options
  • 05-02-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi i have a cooker approx 10 years old and for past few years have been paying cover for repairs since it first broke about 5 years ago.. there has been at least 4 repairs to the circuit board and 2 to the door latch and now its gone haywire again ,, the repairs say the technician would have to say its beyond repair if they were to replace i tbut after this many times do i have any rights to request a replacement..today it just starting flashing an error code and the fan or something was buzzing ,with no heat ,this happened while i was out ..grateful for some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

You have every right to request a replacement, but after 10 years, absolutely no entitlement to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI Op

you cannot after 10 years suggest the goods were not of merchantable quality. generally the limit under sales of goods and supply act is 6 years. so your 'rights' in this case are limited.

you should speak with the seller/manufacturer (whichever you have been deraling with, or both) & tell them you are disappointed and look for a discount on a new model. You are not entitled to this, but if you have a history of repairs etc, you may succeed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

HI Op

you cannot after 10 years suggest the goods were not of merchantable quality. generally the limit under sales of goods and supply act is 6 years. so your 'rights' in this case are limited.

you should speak with the seller/manufacturer (whichever you have been deraling with, or both) & tell them you are disappointed and look for a discount on a new model. You are not entitled to this, but if you have a history of repairs etc, you may succeed.

Can you quote the legislation for the piece in bold please or where you are taking this statement from?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

slave1 wrote: »
    Can you quote the legislation for the piece in bold please or where you are taking this statement from?

It’s up to 6 years..SOGA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

From the google machine

Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand). If the product is defective, the seller is generally responsible for providing redress. If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

carneal wrote: »
    hi i have a cooker approx 10 years old and for past few years have been paying cover for repairs since it first broke about 5 years ago.. there has been at least 4 repairs to the circuit board and 2 to the door latch and now its gone haywire again ,, the repairs say the technician would have to say its beyond repair if they were to replace i tbut after this many times do i have any rights to request a replacement..today it just starting flashing an error code and the fan or something was buzzing ,with no heat ,this happened while i was out ..grateful for some advice

Who is the cover with? Unlikely the manufacturer and most likely a third party? In other words under SOGA there is no recourse to the manufacturer as it's 10 years old

In the contract does it say they will replace, those would be important to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Xterminator

slave1 wrote: »

I did quote it.

Sale of goods and supply act.

Advertisement