Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Levelling Concrete Floor

Options
  • 05-02-2020 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have a kitchen floor (14sqm and square shape) that needs levelling (between 8 and 15mm in variation).

What should such a job roughly cost (material and work) ? I am not looking for a quote, just a direction...

A.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Couple of bags of quick set self leveling compound ~100€, a straight edge, roll of plastic, trowel, bucket, and level.

Poured in late morning could be walk-on dry by the Evening.

A good tradesman paying vat, pension, and business expenses - has to call to price, deal with you, put down protection, get the stuff, do the job, have the skill to trowel any rough edges, tidy-up, and return the following day to inspect: 3-400€

Then you need trims and flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

BryanF wrote: »
    Couple of bags of quick set self leveling compound ~100€, a straight edge, roll of plastic, trowel, bucket, and level.

Poured in late morning could be walk-on dry by the Evening.

A good tradesman paying vat, pension, and business expenses - has to call to price, deal with you, put down protection, get the stuff, do the job, have the skill to trowel any rough edges, tidy-up, and return the following day to inspect: 3-400€

Then you need trims and flooring.

I mistyped --- meant up to 50 mm --- meaning that the floor variation is between 8 and 50 mm (quite a lot). Have a quote that wants to use SLC 1550 self-levelling compound for this thickness (which I believe is too much as the description even states that over 30 mm one should call in and ask) .

Quote comes up to 2k Euro for the levelling using only self-levelling compound and about 1 ton of material of that. If i ask them to use concrete/gravel first and self-levelling compound the quote goes to 1300 Euro. Sensible? 3 days of work is quoted.

Feedback welcome!

Get 2 more quotes.the 1550 goes from 6 to 50mm, says it on the bag.

Can’t comment on the price as that sounds like a pumped job?

How much prep/form work is required?

BryanF wrote: »
    Get 2 more quotes.the 1550 goes from 6 to 50mm, says it on the bag.
    pumped job?

Pumped job?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ampleforth wrote: »
    Pumped job?

Pumped from a lorry.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Pumped from a lorry.

No. Its manual. Bucket job, so to say...

Preparation wise, they will use pipes to assure that everything is levelled. Forgot to mention that the room is quite uneven and that two connecting rooms' floor heights need to be considered and connected to. The kitchen (that is the room that is levelled out) will also receive a floating floor together with the living room (without separation, seamless) and this living room is an elevated floor whereas the kitchen is concrete. So overall, maybe a bit of a complex situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Sorry to hijack this thread...found a full bag of self-levelling compound in the shed which expired in August 2017 (left behind by previous house owner)

Would anyone be able to advise how/where I can dispose of this appropriately?

Thanks!

Contact the company named on the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

How old is the floor and any idea how thick because you could scrabbles it off or grind it off, do it yourself and sorted. Taking 50mm off floors in work because the engineers are tards lols

Advertisement