Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in social work UCC

Options
  • 05-02-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I got offered a interview for the Masters in Social Work in UCC. Anyone have any info on the interview questions so I can prepare. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

I didn't interview for UCC. But I did for TCD. (Other colleges too but not for social work).

The interview was a few years ago but I think it was 20/30 mins. I am a talker mind you. It was not an oral exam on social work theory or anything like that so don't worry! You haven’t done the degree yet. It was casual, there was even laughter! However, it was the most like a job interview in comparison to other courses/colleges I interviewed for.

In my interview they asked a number of questions to basically find out three things:

1. Your preparedness to do academic study.
    2. Your want to be a social worker.
    3. And your understanding of what social work/a social worker is.

Some specific things I was asked for example include:
    Break down how you manage assignments/a heavy work load.
    What is a social worker/what do they do?
    Why do you want to be a social worker?
    Do you have any experience working with a social worker?
    How would you cope/deal with situations involving difficult people (though I am sure they phrased that in a more PC way lol). I had lots of customer service experience, so I definitely had an answer for that! lol

Otherwise, the questions will be typical college interview questions and also based on your application. For example, if you said in your application that you're coming from a homelessness service background you could be asked about your experience with the homelessness charities you volunteered/worked for. I was doing a certificate at at the time so I was asked about how that was going and what I liked about it.

A classmate of mine however did interview for UCC and didn't get it but they got TCD. TUSLA came up in conversation and they were very critical of it lol, and the interviewer they had, had strong connections with TUSLA, and made that clear in the interview didn't agree/like their opinions. lol

It was also really an opportunity for me to interview them. Even if you know the answer have a few questions prepared for them. Like about placement opportunities or something.

Advertisement