Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notices suggestions

• 04-02-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭

I've noticed an increase in the use of notices that point users to threads/forums etc.. Most of them are of no interest to me and I find the increased use to be annoying.

So I have some suggestions:
    a) have an opt-in to display them
    b) if they do display and you click on the link then the notice disappears (kind of like how other notifications work).

c) just have less of them

I appreciate that boards is trying to drum up interest in threads/forums but to me they just get in the way.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I actually like them. It points people in the direction of some interesting and topical discussions - often discussions that people may not automatically go looking for but it encourages some to get more involved in such discussions. It's easy to click them away (to be clear I was not party to any discussions about upping these notices)

The other thing is if you completely disable such notices there may be some important announcement that you could then miss

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi circular flexing,

Thanks for your feedback. We are looking at this as a way of highlighting some interesting or positive content from across Boards. Not every notice will appeal to every user, but perhaps there will be some that highlight a forum, thread or post that a user didn't know existed and would be interested in. You can clear a notice by using the red x beside it on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I click on the current notice
    It's been a whirlwind start to the year.Catch up with all that's happening across Boards here.

I get a message saying I do not have permission to view that page!

Life ain't always empty.

Boards.ie Employee

Hi Hotblack Desiato,

Interesting. That notice should no longer be displayed. Will have to look into this.

Edit: Would you be able to share a screenshot of your notices panel? Do you clear them or how many notices are now appearing at one time?

((As an aside, if you are curious as to what some Boardsies have been doing: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058046480))

It was just one notice.

When I opened this thread a few minutes ago to see your reply, the notice was there. I reloaded it just now to see what would happen and it disappeared!

I'd already read that notice, but still it's a little strange that the system would try to deny me reading it again :) (the link in your post works.)

Nothing anyone can do now that it's disappeared. Just a bit strange.

Edit: as I often open tabs for all unread threads at once, I found another tab with the notice still on it. As with the others, when I reloaded that tab the notice disappeared. This is Opera 66 on Windows 10.

502024.PNG

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

The current notice about the motivational and personal development forum has no red X to dismiss it.

Life ain't always empty.

Boards.ie Employee

Now it should do. Settings were correct, but not sure why it wasn't applied. Sorry about that.

Yeah it's sorted now, thanks.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,743 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I find these notices a pain in the arris.
    I don't need them or want them, and there's no way of disabling them.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Advertisement