Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting advice

Options
  • 04-02-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Looking for commuting advice (do's and dont's), i hope to commute between Moycullen and Galway about 22k round trip, looking at buying hybrid bike from halfords Carrera crossfire 2, or is better to go second hand (Trek,Giant,Cube,GT) for around the same money. is there anything a newie should lookout for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

What's your budget and can you benefit from the bike to work scheme? If you can, you can get over half back in tax if you're paying the higher rate, and as a newbie, it's probably better than trying to figure out if a 2nd hand bike is a bargain or a pup.

I'd avoid suspension forks, especially on cheaper bikes. They only add weight and transfer energy into bouncing up and down rather than moving forward. Staying with Halfords, the Boardman HYB 8.6 is a decent looking bike, albeit a step up in price (again a question of budget - you may find something a bit cheaper from Cube or some of the other brands). There is a degree of getting what you pay for, and if you can stretch that bit more, especially if the BTW scheme is being used, you'll usually get a much better bike in the long run.

Don't forget to budget for stuff like lights and a lock. You'll want a fairly decent set of lights assuming you're intending going up/down the N59 to make sure you're seen. These can also be covered in the BTW scheme. Mudguards would also be highly recommended unless Galway's gotten a lot dryer than I remember it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

There could be a good thread discussion on each of these but here are my top three tips

-Drop bars are more comfortable and better in tight spots than flat bars. A tiny period of adjustment to get used to them. I wouldn’t even call it a learning curve.

-Get full mudguards so make sure the bike takes them

-Get good commuter tires. Ditch the soft/thin ones that come on most new bike (I like schwalbe marathon plus)

-Get 2+ rear lights.

Happy commuting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Have you done the cycle itself much at commuting times or are you currently bikeless? It'd be good to know that you're comfortable with the traffic, route, distance etc.
    Also have you got shower / changing / bike parking facilities at work?

The advice above is good, if using BTW and on the higher tax band there's better value to be had in buying new, along with the fact that you get a warranty and piece of mind for the warranty period.
    IMO if you're committed to it and you can afford it I'd definitely spend more, you'll get a lighter bike with better quality components which will stand up to more wear and tear.

I also agree on suspension, it's a waste of time especially at that price point.

Mudguards for me are a must on a commuter bike and I also use a rack with pannier bags to avoid having a bag on my back, especially if carrying any sort of reasonable weight (I carry a laptop and change of clothes to and from work everyday).

Last thing I'd ask is any reason you looked at a hybrid rather than road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Looking for commuting advice (do's and dont's), i hope to commute between Moycullen and Galway about 22k round trip, looking at buying hybrid bike from halfords Carrera crossfire 2, or is better to go second hand (Trek,Giant,Cube,GT) for around the same money. is there anything a newie should lookout for?

Recently got a Trek FX 2 hybrid bike, cant fault it so far. I have a 22k round trip too.Also got a pannier rack, handy for bringing small bag with lunch and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Stuff like jackets, helmets, gloves, tubes, tyres, panniers, lights can sometimes be a crazy price in the bike shops. You wouldn't mind paying extra for local service and good quality but I often feel they gouge people who trust them for stuff that isn't very good. Eg. reasonably poor Chinese tyres will cost €25-30 in a bike shop but you'd get similar for €12 online.
    Buying them online is a much cheaper option if you know roughly what you want. Websites like PlanetX, Chainreaction, Wiggle, Cyclestore, Evans, etc, can be literally half or even a third of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 happy hurler

Thanks you so for your great advice guys, My budget is about 600, i was thinking about 400 for bike and 200 for extras lights mudguards carrier panniers etc, havent done much cycling in last years , bike to work scheme not an option, the reason for hybrid was just in advice from bikeshops, but i will look also look the rd bikes,

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Thanks you so for your great advice guys, My budget is about 600, i was thinking about 400 for bike and 200 for extras lights mudguards carrier panniers etc, havent done much cycling in last years , bike to work scheme not an option, the reason for hybrid was just in advice from bikeshops, but i will look also look the rd bikes,

You'll have a stiff auld breeze going back out west, so a lighter bike might be of more benefit to you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Loads of decent bikes around 200-300 quid on adverts and based in Galway area. You’ll do well there. I just had a quick scan. They appear to be the 1k mark BTW purchases that you can extract serious value from. If you got something that got you going for say 300 then the rest of the 600 budget could be put into the trimmings to keep you running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Have a look in Moycullen Bike Works down by Kilarainey. They have a great range, and will order in if they don't have what you're looking for. They're also very thorough when they service your bike (they'll give your bike a free tune-up a few weeks after you buy your bike.

Moycullen-Galway is a nice route, but gets a little dodgy around Gortacleva junction before the Glenlo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might be worth getting a cheap second hand bike for e150 - e200 as a starter, to get a feel for what you like and don't like, before jumping in with your main purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Your budget is tight enough for a new bike. Consider 2nd hand, but you need to get the right size to be comfortable for you. Drop bars definitely worthwhile as you have lots of hand positions to vary your grip. Mudguards and good lights essential.

Could you borrow a bike for a few trips before you buy? You’d learn a lot from that. If you enjoy the spin at all, you might find it worth going all in on the bike to work scheme.

Local bike shop for sure. MBW is good. Martin Kearney also very good on headford rd.

MBW seem a good local rep, ill pop in this weeki,done a few a runs on route on old mountain over the last few weeks, its little hairy around before Gortacleva junction,

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Agree with all of this advice above except for the drop bars. For me flat bars are much more comfortable for commuting. Also the more upright position is useful around town. I generally don't use my road and gravel bikes for getting about town, for two reasons. One, the hybrid is more comfortable and practical, albeit slower. Also comes with full mudguards, rack, carries the lock on the frame. But two, I don't want to lock my nice bikes around town and get them stolen. Whereas no one wants to rob my old town bike. Also I've replaced the quick releases with nuts so that they can;t steal my wheels so easily. (It does mean carrying a spanner in case of punctures though.)

Just my opinion. Now if you have further distances to go, the above might change. Like the OP has 12 km in either direction? Which is twice as far as I have to do in the mornings.

Final thought: Mudguards, lights and puncture proof tyres are crucial for commuting. Schalbe marathons and the like are slower than lighter tyres but almost puncture proof. I haven't had a puncture in years with them on my commuting bike, which I ride almost every day.

I've up the budget to a grandto 1200, is gravel bike my best option? any makes and modesl ? looked the kona rove looked good

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spark23

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=140873

I picked up the 105 version of the Cube Nuroad FE a year ago and cant complain as a great commuter bike. It comes with all the mudguards, lights etc fitted which will save alot of hassle doing it yourself. Some bike shops might have some 2019 models left which may be cheaper than the 2020 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

I used to do this commute a few years ago. Yes it gets dodgy on the way into Galway at glenlo hotel as far as Newcastle. In the opposite direction the same spot is fast as it's downhill mostly and the city lights end there. Coming into Moycullen there is an attempt at a bike lane and it's safer to use it than the road. It's poorly marked and ramped into each house.

Agree with most of the advice above. Main things I'd emphasise is get as light a bike u can afford, lights (Solarstorn XML 2 on eBay on front) and at least two good rear lights(cateye or similar), mudguards (Halfords or eBay), good rain gear (endura or Madison etc.) .
    Eat well to avoid sickness and enjoy the dry days. Safe travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I cycle this road most days to work. My #1 priority, summery or winter, is really good lights (front and back). I actually use multiple sets at the same time.

It's not uncommon to have a headwind to and from work on that road, for that reason I use a bike with drop handlebars.

I commute on a gravel bike a lot because it's very comfortable and has disk brakes (they've saved my bacon a few times when filtering in traffic when it's wet). It's about 3->4kmph slower than a road bike. If the weather's good I'll take the road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd agree with everything Lennox said, I much prefer my hybrid on my commute, particularly in the city amongst traffic. Plus it's hardier when locked up in the bike racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Just want to +1 on the lights, it can get daaark along that stretch. Something to illuminate the way, rather than just be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shelly0

If haven't made your purchase I suggest you West side cycles the got Riddick gravel bikes 799/850. Also if you're out in the Moycullen area MBW have Kona Rove are similar money. Excellent bikes for the daily commute. Again repeating everyone else lights are most on that road. Best of luck safe riding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

From the lighting point of view, a dynamo hub and decent lights is probably the best investment. €160 or thereabouts spent at rosebikes will get you set up to be well visible and able to see where you're going.

spark23 wrote: »
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=140873

I picked up the 105 version of the Cube Nuroad FE a year ago and cant complain as a great commuter bike. It comes with all the mudguards, lights etc fitted which will save alot of hassle doing it yourself. Some bike shops might have some 2019 models left which may be cheaper than the 2020 version.

That looks like my dream bike there! Love the mudguards and lights included. Question: do you use the rack at the rear? And if so with what panniers?

LennoxR wrote: »
    That looks like my dream bike there! Love the mudguards and lights included. Question: do you use the rack at the rear? And if so with what panniers?

Hey, yes i use the rack daily commuting to work. i use an Ortlieb pannier bag which i have to say is excellent, its so much easier not having a bag on your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

This boardman comes in at a good price but only 1 size available:

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/310177.html

They also have this carrea with mudguards and lights although you'd need a second set of lights as fitted ones look basic;

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/all-bikes/229822.html

spark23 wrote: »
    Hey, yes i use the rack daily commuting to work. i use an Ortlieb pannier bag which i have to say is excellent, its so much easier not having a bag on your back.

Really looks like the ideal fast commuter bike. Only downside being I wouldn't leave it locked outside for too long.

Do you ride it off road at all? Or just for commuting?

I've done along the canal Lucan to Kilcock a few times, trails bit of rutted track, mainly used for commuting after the gravel tires are worn I'll fit 28mm Gator skins should make it abit quicker. Luckly my job is in a very secure location no need to even lock it in work, stays inside at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shelly0

Hi guys I would like to thank everybody who offered great advice and encouragement. Just thought I'd give an updates I have been commuting a couple of days over the last months from Moycullen to Galway. It's the best thing I've ever done. Managed to get a bike to work scheme . Got a kona gravel MBW in Moycullen. Very comfortable and even taken off road a few times.

Advertisement