Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to complain to over misleading promotion

Options
  • 03-02-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

I got a letter addressed from a broadband provider offering to upgrade me to 1000Mbps at no extra cost to my current monthly bill and saying that the upgrade would occur at a time and date that suits me.

Then abruptly my broadband ceased working.

When I rang up to accept the offer, they ignored my repeated attempts to get the offer in their letter and offered 150Mbps at a price 10% higher than my current bill. Having been without broadband for 10 days, I reluctantly accept their offer, and was not offered a time and date that suited, but a date two weeks later(also the length of the cooling off period) and a five hour window rather than a definite time.

I made arrangements to be home all day for when the engineer called, now with my cooling off period over, they've rang to say they didn't realise the job needed a cherry picker(despite having other customers on the same road) and so the installation won't be going ahead as planned but will be delayed for another 5-7 days, at which stage I will have been without broadband(which I pay for in advance), for over a month.

I have found that their promises on speed, cost, date and time have all proved to be false. A call to their help line found me being told that their customer service agents were too busy, being asked for my number and told they would call me back within 2 days, but 6 days later I had to phone them, which resulted in the situation I now find myself in.

So my question is, who is responsible for policing/regulating offers made through directly addressed letters like this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So they gave you crap service and you STILL signed up to them?

Seriously?

As service has not commenced you can probably cancel the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭swampy353

Could be corrected but.. Two week cooling off period only begins when the service or product is received. The fact that you havent got the bb you signed up for means that the clock hasn't started
    Cancel the order and find a new supplier

Would think comreg are the people who will take the complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

swampy353 wrote: »
    Could be corrected but.. Two week cooling off period only begins when the service or product is received. The fact that you havent got the bb you signed up for means that the clock hasn't started
    Cancel the order and find a new supplier

Would think comreg are the people who will take the complaint

This.

Advertisement