Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forestry valuation

Options
  • 03-02-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

I am trying to get my head around forestry land valuation. How much does the price of forestry change post clearfell? I presumed it would make a huge drop in value? It is hard to figure out as very little of what I can find offered is clearfell. I am specifically interested in lower end boggy land.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maurice J Ryan

The value of clearfell land and especially boggy land, is quite low. The main reason for this is that there is an obligation to replant the land at the owners expense - ie no grants or premiums on the second establishment.
    The value you would be looking for would range from €300-€800 per acre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Thanks. I really appreciate. I have read a lot about the replanting requirement. Are you saying this sort of land tends to be unwanted due to this requirement?

If you are looking at upload mountainous bog, I wonder would letting trees like rowan and birch suffice the replanting requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Thanks. I really appreciate. I have read a lot about the replanting requirement. Are you saying this sort of land tends to be unwanted due to this requirement?

If you are looking at upload mountainous bog, I wonder would letting trees like rowan and birch suffice the replanting requirement?

If the soil was suitable yes, but the planting would have to adhere to forestry service regs, and approval.

Thanks for the feedback. My motivation is really just native reforestation, with small scale timber production for crafts etc. It isnt an investment plan at all.

What would be the best way to find sites? Is it worthwhile putting out ads? The forestry sales web sites don't have have many clearfell sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

Why you interested in clearfell only, is it to plant again.

Whats the level of compliance and and checking of same is post clearfell

Are there penalties? Can the grants be claimed back, even off a subsequent seller.

Would it even be possible to sell, with such a covenant hanging over it.

G-Man wrote: »
    Why you interested in clearfell only, is it to plant again.

Whats the level of compliance and and checking of same is post clearfell

Are there penalties? Can the grants be claimed back, even off a subsequent seller.

Would it even be possible to sell, with such a covenant hanging over it.

My idea was that clearfell land would be cheaper and give me flexibility to plant species of my choice. Yes I am pretty sure the grants can be claimed back by the state even if a different person bought the land. Not sure about the rest.

Advertisement