Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal scheme.

Options
  • 03-02-2020 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi,Quick question.We are trying to get fair deal scheme in place for a family member?He joint owner of a property,so would be using his asset to fund his care.Can his Separated wife go against this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Hi,Quick question.We are trying to get fair deal scheme in place for a family member?He joint owner of a property,so would be using his asset to fund his care.Can his Separated wife go against this?

Thanks

The application will need to be signed by whoever holds the title to the property.

If one party refuses to sign I’m not sure what happens .. but it would be a horrible horrible person to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Yes She is:(
    My head is melted on this one.Family member was kicked out because of mental illness.Turns out he had FTD all along and will need full time care.

Yes She is:(
    My head is melted on this one.Family member was kicked out because of mental illness.Turns out he had FTD all along and will need full time care.

You really need to get the public health nurse / GP / Social worker on the case.

In reality very very few people can afford full time Specalist dementia care without fair deal. Plus if the person has an asset he should be able to use this to provide care when needed most.

The ex. Will also have to realise that she will be unable to do anything with the property while he is alive (unless enduring power of attorney has already been granted) .. as he has dementia he can’t offer that now and can’t consent to any disposal of the asset.

Even if a ward of court is appointed any action has to be in the interest of the person under wardship so unlikely that a disposal of an asset which could provide security of care wouldn’t be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

My apologies if i'm telling you what you already know, but here goes anyway. Hope this helps.
    There are two parts to the fair deal, state support and ancillary state support. Most people just need state support. this is where the assets, i.e. pension, savings, etc. are added up and also the value of the property/land. This works out your contribution to the scheme, and the HSE pay the rest. Generally you pay about 20% but it varies.
    Ancillary state support is where you get a loan from the HSE. This covers your payment and they pay the full amount weekly, and when the person passes away, the assets are sold and the loan (amount paid by the HSE) is paid back from the sale.
    As far as I'm aware, for the first part you don't need spouses signature, just the signature of the person applying for the scheme or nominated party. This doesn't have to be the spouse, it can be a relative, family doctor, nurse, etc. If you're separated, you're treated singly.
    If you're looking for the loan, i.e. the ancillary support, and pay back on death, then you do need signatures from all parties interested in the property/ land. on the form there are fair deal offices mentioned, if you could call in, they would be more than happy to help you with advice. (In my dealings with them anyway.)

point to note; a few years ago,when you own property/land, you paid your part as long as the person was in care. If you transferred the property/land to another family member, or members, you only paid your share for about 3 years. (i think.) Transfer must be done before you apply, and also it could be no longer in place.

Again, the fair deal scheme people will be able to clarify all this for you. Also, the above is as far as i remember.
    Good luck.

I should add that a call to the fair deal Office is worth while .. very very helpful people and are on the side of the person needing care

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the advice.He only got diagnosed the other day and it has completely knocked me.
    I thought he just needed a good kick in the arse. How wrong i was:(

Thanks again

Thanks so much for all the advice.He only got diagnosed the other day and it has completely knocked me.
    I thought he just needed a good kick in the arse. How wrong i was:(

Thanks again

My mother has dementia and we beat ourselves up for not noticing / acting earlier .. in reality it’s very difficult to notice or accept .. they tend to hide it very well.

Speak with someone from Alzimers Ireland

https://alzheimer.ie/get-support/services-in-my-county/

I found them really reassuring and helpful when I spoke to them .. even just for a chat ... but definitely give them a call

Anyway.The Nurse called today and she told my Brother at my parents house that the best they could do for him atm is Two weeks rest bite twice a year.He is living with my 80 year old parents,One has Parkinson’s and my mother is starting to see her father.My Brothers health has gone down hill rapidly in last 6 months.Any ideas what I can do.

Anyway.The Nurse called today and she told my Brother at my parents house that the best they could do for him atm is Two weeks rest bite twice a year.He is living with my 80 year old parents,One has Parkinson’s and my mother is starting to see her father.My Brothers health has gone down hill rapidly in last 6 months.Any ideas what I can do.

You need to organise permanent residential care .. this is done quickest through fair deal.

whippet wrote: »
    You need to organise permanent residential care .. this is done quickest through fair deal.

Yes but as far as I know the health nurse is the one who has to ok it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

dermiek wrote: »
    My apologies if i'm telling you what you already know, but here goes anyway. Hope this helps.
    There are two parts to the fair deal, state support and ancillary state support. Most people just need state support. this is where the assets, i.e. pension, savings, etc. are added up and also the value of the property/land. This works out your contribution to the scheme, and the HSE pay the rest. Generally you pay about 20% but it varies.
    Ancillary state support is where you get a loan from the HSE. This covers your payment and they pay the full amount weekly, and when the person passes away, the assets are sold and the loan (amount paid by the HSE) is paid back from the sale.
    As far as I'm aware, for the first part you don't need spouses signature, just the signature of the person applying for the scheme or nominated party. This doesn't have to be the spouse, it can be a relative, family doctor, nurse, etc. If you're separated, you're treated singly.
    If you're looking for the loan, i.e. the ancillary support, and pay back on death, then you do need signatures from all parties interested in the property/ land. on the form there are fair deal offices mentioned, if you could call in, they would be more than happy to help you with advice. (In my dealings with them anyway.)

point to note; a few years ago,when you own property/land, you paid your part as long as the person was in care. If you transferred the property/land to another family member, or members, you only paid your share for about 3 years. (i think.) Transfer must be done before you apply, and also it could be no longer in place.

Again, the fair deal scheme people will be able to clarify all this for you. Also, the above is as far as i remember.
    Good luck.

I'm not sure if it has always been in place, but they look at the last 5 years worth of transactions when evaluating your means the fair deal scheme. It's to stop people on the brink of entering the fair deal scheme transferring all their assets away and paying nothing on that asset.

I also think the 3 year cap on property applies to all cases, so that you'll only pay at most 22.5% of the value of a property.

Advertisement