Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signature Fraud Penalty?

Options
  • 02-02-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Here is the thing: my ex partner (separated while there’s still a company between us) used an image of my signature to sign an e-document of the company and then email it to me to ask if I have any objections to that. This was while I’ve never permitted him to use my signature and I was available to sign those documents myself. I did have objections to that and did not allow him to use it but I’m wondering if what he’s done is actually a fraudulent action even if he didn’t submit that document yet did use my signature to then come and ask if I mind that!

Any guidance would be appreciated.

P. S. I contacted Citizens Information already and they didn’t have clear tips on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As long as he hasn't presented a document with an image of your signature to anyone else pretending that the document was signed by you or authorised by you, he hasn't committed any offence. He has effectively asked your authority to affix your signature to a document to be used in some way, and also shown you that he has the technical capacity to do so. That's not illegal.

But I get that you would be very uncomfortable about it, even if only because the document might accidentally be taken by someone as having been signed by you. It would be better if he had asked for you authority before doing this, rather than after.

If I were you, I'd ask him to destroy the document with the image of your signature on it, and also ask him to destroy, or not retain, any electronic images of your signature that he is holding. If you ever do decide to authorise him to affix your siganture to a document you can always send him a facsimile image then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Hiddden wrote: »
    Here is the thing: my ex partner (separated while there’s still a company between us) used an image of my signature to sign an e-document of the company and then email it to me to ask if I have any objections to that. This was while I’ve never permitted him to use my signature and I was available to sign those documents myself. I did have objections to that and did not allow him to use it but I’m wondering if what he’s done is actually a fraudulent action even if he didn’t submit that document yet did use my signature to then come and ask if I mind that!

Any guidance would be appreciated.

P. S. I contacted Citizens Information already and they didn’t have clear tips on this.

Think of it this way. If your husband drew up a document that provided that agree to paint the house. Then used your signature and showed you and started. has he done anything wrong? No.

If he drew up a document which allowed the presenter of the document to withdraw money from your private account and used your signature. He still hasn’t done anything wrong per se. If he then presented the document and withdrew money without your permission. Then he has.

It comes down to what it was used for, impact and loss. Impact and loss may be the same but in some circumstances may have different attributes.

Advertisement