Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a mathematics degree result in high paying jobs, or should I do Actuary?

Options
  • 01-02-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm planning on doing maths in UCC but I'm skeptical on whether or not there'd be jobs available for me. Is actuary a safer option?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You can be an actuary with a maths degree too. Among many other things. You just have to do more of the actuary exams. An actuary degree would still require you to do the advanced exams after your degree if you want any sort of career progression. It's possible to get different jobs with an actuary degree too.

In short, do an actuary degree if you want to be an actuary. Do a maths degree if you want to learn maths and want broader career options after your degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

I think it's more important the way you learn and how you want to study and progress. I did maths but wished I had picked up engineering or actuary instead. I found it a bit aimless and would have preferred broader study with more of a direction for my post graduation career.
    I knew a few people who went off the rails for the same reason then others who broke under too much pressure in courses like actuary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are jobs in finance, encryption, data science, games etc that maths is desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

beauf wrote: »
    There are jobs in finance, encryption, data science, games etc that maths is desirable.

You forgot to mention Industry is crying out for maths graduates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Do a Maths degree. If you still want to be an Actuary at the end you could do a Masters in Actuarial Science in UCC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement