Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Castlevania Symphony of the Night: XBLA or Requiem?

• 01-02-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

I have both iterations of the game but I don't know what port I should play out of the two I mentioned.

I don't have access to the original PS1 version so that's out of the question.

I tend to be really picky when choosing to play ports of games as some versions are better than others in various ways, but also come at a cost on other aspects, if that makes sense.

I only have the aforementioned two versions and I'm asking because i don't want to play one version for hours only to find something within it that'll put me off (like a glitch or audio lag or whatever).

I'll come to the realisation that I'm overthinking this eventually, but for now - which version's better?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The XBLA port cuts some content like the (awful) CGI cutscenes and I think the final (awful) vocal track. Few minor glitches and aspect ratio issues but it's decent. Pretty sure the Requiem version is way better and you also get access to a playable maria who was only in the Saturn version and reintroduced in the PSP port.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought Requiem on the Switch but still have the original.
    It's that long since I played it on the PS that I wouldn't know where I am in terms of progression!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I bought Requiem on the Switch

Are you sure? I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was on Switch. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've an original copy too but it's PAL unfortunately. By far the nicest box/package but the slowdown and boarders kill it. I remember playing through the whole thing like that when I picked it up just to give it a go on original hardware and it's definitely worth staying away from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want it on PC so I'll have it on a platform forever instead of having to buy it every fecking console generation multiple times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I went with the XBLA version for now. Apparently it's the closest port of the PS1 version available and also has the original VO. The letterboxing was quite irritating at first but I've gotten used to it.

I found this link too

EDIT: I turned on the Requiem version to see if I could directly compare the two and the bigger screen size kinda jumped out at me......now I dunno what version to stick with. Also I'm slightly preferring the DS4 over the Xbox One controller. And there's a quick save option... ah lads, 1st world problem at its finest here

Master of the Universe

Is it letterboxed but running full 60hz speed rather than 50hz?

Odd, must have been PAL optimised?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it letterboxed but running full 60hz speed rather than 50hz?

Odd, must have been PAL optimised?

It runs at full 60hz apparently. Not sure. It did look weird

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    Are you sure? I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was on Switch. :)

Bugger...

No, you are right :(

It's the PS4.

So many digital storefronts!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've an original copy too but it's PAL unfortunately. By far the nicest box/package but the slowdown and boarders kill it. I remember playing through the whole thing like that when I picked it up just to give it a go on original hardware and it's definitely worth staying away from.

Jesus. Whatever you do, cherish that copy. I wish I was more aware of more games growing up. I never heard of SOTN until I was in my late teens (2007-ish) and I didn't garner any real interest in the series until about 2 years ago. Originally wanted to get SOTN on PS1 until I saw the prices for it. maybe a tax rebate purchase if even. That game is mental expensive

• Advertisement

I owned a copy of SotN from new, the PAL PS1 version, with the bonus cards and soundtrack.
    I gave most of my collection away in the late 90's and then, some years later the collecting big proper kicked in.
    I was over in a mates place and, under the telly, there was the PS I had given him covered in dust and my old copy of SotN... which I then got back!
    Woohoo!
    It now lives on, back home where it should be.

Master of the Universe

Jesus. Whatever you do, cherish that copy. I wish I was more aware of more games growing up. I never heard of SOTN until I was in my late teens (2007-ish) and I didn't garner any real interest in the series until about 2 years ago. Originally wanted to get SOTN on PS1 until I saw the prices for it. maybe a tax rebate purchase if even. That game is mental expensive

Yeah the good old days of getting bargains and being able to enjoy collecting are pretty much gone, I wouldn't recommend anyone get into it in this current climate. Just had a look at SOTN and complete copies are going for 250-300+ gbp. There's not a chance I'd ever pay that for a game on a disc.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was over in a mates place and, under the telly, there was the PS I had given him covered in dust and my old copy of SotN... which I then got back!
    Woohoo!
    It now lives on, back home where it should be.

That's absolutely amazing, I'd say your heart skipped a beat when you saw that!

I remember seeing copies of SOTN in the wild. Looked gorgeous.

Picked up some magazines. Was amazed at the screenshots....

6-7/10 from them all. 2D, looks old.

Didn't buy it.

Happened before with Megaman X.

The british magazines were weird at the time. They had no love for 16-bit and 8-bit franchises like the Americans did so rarely gave games like these a chance.

Yes, it was one of those nice things in gaming that I'll remember for a long time, along with the delivery of my precious, fragile Vectrex from the Isle of Man to an airfield in Newtonabbey, like some sort of drug smuggler!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember seeing copies of SOTN in the wild. Looked gorgeous.

Picked up some magazines. Was amazed at the screenshots....

6-7/10 from them all. 2D, looks old.

Didn't buy it.

Happened before with Megaman X.

The british magazines were weird at the time. They had no love for 16-bit and 8-bit franchises like the Americans did so rarely gave games like these a chance.

A solid 6/10!

giphy.gif

A disgrace

Advertisement