Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Prius or Honda Insight?

Options
  • 31-01-2020 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Looking at buying a used hybrid. 2012/13/14 in year and looking at the Prius or the Insight. Can anyone offer any advise on which car to go for, is there any obvious advantages in either model?

Theres an Insight, 2013, 54,000 miles, i'm looking at through a dealer, just under 8k, good value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I had a 2010 insight and then sold it and got a lexus ct 200,

The insight felt cheap and was under powered, only a 1.4 l engine, got about 50/60 mpg from it. The back seat middle passenger will be most uncomfortable as there is only about an inch of foam over the battery or some other hard thing in that position.

The lexus has the same engine/battery/motor as the newer prius and I liked the power from the 1.8 l engine it gave the same economy as the insight.

At the time of buying the lexus I wanted a prius but they seemed expensive, so I looked at the auris and some one put the lexus ct in with them and they were better value compared to the toyota's .

None cheaper in the uk on autotrader.

Have you considered other makes, electric or plug in hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭joinme

kanuseeme wrote: »
    I had a 2010 insight and then sold it and got a lexus ct 200,

The insight felt cheap and was under powered, only a 1.4 l engine, got about 50/60 mpg from it. The back seat middle passenger will be most uncomfortable as there is only about an inch of foam over the battery or some other hard thing in that position.

The lexus has the same engine/battery/motor as the newer prius and I liked the power from the 1.8 l engine it gave the same economy as the insight.

At the time of buying the lexus I wanted a prius but they seemed expensive, so I looked at the auris and some one put the lexus ct in with them and they were better value compared to the toyota's .

None cheaper in the uk on autotrader.

Have you considered other makes, electric or plug in hybrid?

Thanks for the advice. Hadnt heard of the Lexus. I havent a clue about cars tbh. Currently driving an 05, 1.8 avensis, we dont use it that much in terms of commuting so want something more economical.

Also considering going electric. Maybe a Nissan Leaf around 2012/13/14 . Not sure what other options there are in electric or hybrid cars?

We want second hand, low on tax. Engine size isnt that important.

Electric would be the most economical, but range, time spent charging, looking for and possibly waiting on charge points needs to be considered, if you go beyond battery range.

Next would be plug in, good for commutes of 30 to 40 km takes 2- 4 hours to charge and off you go again, or you have petrol to complete your commute.

It really depends on your commutes for both types.

Hybrid in my opinion gives about diesel economy.

There is a 20+ electric cars on donedeal for 8 to 10 k.

Lots of hybrid cars for that range

Buget is limiting the choice of plug in models.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive a 2014 Insight and honestly its been one of the best cars Ive owned. But Im a bit biased and for transparency I have to say I do work for Honda.

I easily get 60+ mpg and if Im being an absolute miser I can get 80+.

Ive done one run where it did 85 mpg.

I wouldn't agree that the engine is underpowered. There is plenty of power there if you know how to use it it but that negates the whole green driving mentality. There is a sport mode on them that lessons the green credentials but you`ll be lucky to get 35 mpg out of it but it will move.

The other issue is that Insight batteries just don't fail. Ive cutomers with 500+ kms plus on them and the battery is still like new (based on running a state of charge check with Honda diagnostic equipment)

The centre rear seat was modified in the later models and are a fair bit more comfy compared to the earlier ones.

I looked at a Prius aswell when we were buying the Insight but budget wise I got a 2014 for just under 8k.A similar Prius was around 12k if I remember right.

You cant go wrong with the Insight - the only issue with 12 and 13 models was the piston rings failing on them-there is a modified set of rings that's fitted to them. If its a Uk or Irish car it will have extended warranty on it until 2024 for this issue. If its a Jap import it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive a 2014 Insight and honestly its been one of the best cars Ive owned. But Im a bit biased and for transparency I have to say I do work for Honda.

I easily get 60+ mpg and if Im being an absolute miser I can get 80+

I wouldn't agree that the engine is underpowered. There is plenty of power there if you know how to use it it but that negates the whole green driving mentality. There is a sport mode on them that lessons the green credentials but you`ll be lucky to get 35 mpg out of it but it will move.

The other issue is that Insight batteries just don't fail. Ive cutomers with 500+ kms plus on them and the battery is still like new (based on running a state of charge check with Honda diagnostic equipment)

The centre rear seat was modified in the later models and are a fair bit more comfy compared to the earlier ones.

I looked at a Prius aswell when we were buying the Insight but budget wise I got a 2014 for just under 8k.A similar Prius was around 12k if I remember right.

You cant go wrong with the Insight - the only issue with 12 and 13 models was the piston rings failing on them-there is a modified set of rings that's fitted to them. If its a Uk or Irish car it will have extended warranty on it until 2024 for this issue. If its a Jap import it wont.

I've a 12 insight ( had a 10) if I'd a choice/ bobs Prius all day long, insight is a miser,but Prius is more car

• Advertisement

I easily get 60+ mpg and if Im being an absolute miser I can get 80+.

Insight is cheaper ,much cheaper,but Prius holds its value better

My insight was 2010 and had no sport mode,

I agree the toyota's seemed to be more expensive but also are bullet proof.

Electric will be the most economical but with some (dis)advantages depending on the user.

Hybrid or plug in cars would depend on number and length of commutes for the economy.

My plug-in has done a total of 900 km @ 0.4 L/ 100 km in small commutes of less than 40 km since the 9 of January, yesterday I done a Dublin airport run of 330 km and only got 7 l / 100 km, a plug in works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭joinme

Thanks for all the replies.

Excuse the ignorance here but whats the difference between plug in and hybrid. I've seen cars advertised as hybrid and hybrid/plug in. I assume hybeid/plug in is a hybrid that allows you to charge battery independent of the engine?

Our commute is pretty short, if either of us choose to drive. 5-10km return journey. The car sits in the driveway alot due to us cycling /walking as commute. We use mainly evenings and weekends.

We travel down the country occasionally and the lack of electric charge poings leaves a doubt in my mind there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I've a 12 insight ( had a 10) if I'd a choice/ bobs Prius all day long, insight is a miser,but Prius is more car
    Insight is cheaper ,much cheaper,but Prius holds its value better

What swayed us was budget.4 grand was a huge difference. Plus the fact that I work for Honda so have good back up if anything ever went wrong.

Maybe Im just biased :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

joinme wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance here but whats the difference between plug in and hybrid. I've seen cars advertised as hybrid and hybrid/plug in. I assume hybeid/plug in is a hybrid that allows you to charge battery independent of the engine?
    There are (petrol/diesel only) hybrids, and there are plug-in hybrids or PHEVs. PHEVs usually have a larger battery that can be charged from the mains, but if you don't charge it or the battery is mostly depleted it will operate like a standard hybrid.

There is a PHEV version of the generation of Prius you're looking at, the Prius Plug-in, which was sold from 2012-2016 but not in Ireland - you'll have to look at UK or Japanese imports for these. I have one, it does about 16-18 km on a full charge (enough for my commute), takes 90 minutes to charge, and besides the lack of a spare wheel well (due to larger battery) is pretty much identical to the normal Gen 3 Prius. I'm averaging about 82 MPG overall.

There was no PHEV version of the Insight.

With an Irish or UK Toyota hybrid, they will extended the hybrid system (incl. traction battery) warranty up to 15 years with an annual Hybrid Health Check (€50, or included with a service). You won't get this with a Japanese import.

The Toyota Auris Hybrid and Lexus CT200h use the same powertrain as the Gen 3 Prius (2009-2015).
    kanuseeme wrote: »
    Next would be plug in, good for commutes of 30 to 40 km takes 2- 4 hours to charge and off you go again, or you have petrol to complete your commute.
    They're looking at 6+ year old cars though, the choice in plug-ins is very limited there and none will do 30-40 km, more like 15-20 km. Unless they want to consider the Vauxhall Ampera, but the whole warranty/servicing situation in Ireland puts me off that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

Hi Hellrazer, just curious on this, when did the extended warranty come in to play on the 2012/2013 models. I have a 2012 Insight and had an issue with excess oil consumption, there was no mention of any extended warranty. Got sorted eventually alright, but took a while.

mone wrote: »
    Hi Hellrazer, just curious on this, when did the extended warranty come in to play on the 2012/2013 models. I have a 2012 Insight and had an issue with excess oil consumption, there was no mention of any extended warranty. Got sorted eventually alright, but took a while.

I dont understand you?
    The bulletin has always been there.But to get it through the warranty system it had to be reported and monitored over 1000kms of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

I dont understand you?
    The bulletin has always been there.But to get it through the warranty system it had to be reported and monitored over 1000kms of driving.

Ah ok thanks. When I reported to the dealer, the dealer denied there was any issues or bulletin. Eventually got it sorted, but took 18 months. In the end I was putting oil in the engine more often than fuel in the tank, and that was after a new set of rings. Replacement engine sorted it!

Ah ok thanks. When I reported to the dealer, the dealer denied there was any issues or bulletin. Eventually got it sorted, but took 18 months. In the end I was putting oil in the engine more often than fuel in the tank, and that was after a new set of rings. Replacement engine sorted it!

The bulletin was for new rings and pistons. Ive never seen the new rings and pistons to not fix the issue.

Look up insight central ( Honda insight forum)detailed thread on same, excellent forum

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

Is there any other obvious way to tell a Japanese import Insight besides the Japanese txt on info unit in photos? Looking at changing myself and everything online looks like an import. Are parts generally the same for an import?

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Is there any other obvious way to tell a Japanese import Insight besides the Japanese txt on info unit in photos? Looking at changing myself and everything online looks like an import. Are parts generally the same for an import?

Yes language on the radio/ cd if original will be in Japanese,+ jap cars have the wind / rain deflectors( most imported jap cars will have the stock radio etc removed/ replaced)

Parts on the insight are exactly the same ( I've a UK one now/ previously had a direct jap import)

If in doubt or have any questions,p.m . Me and I can contact you via WhatsApp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

Low mileage
    Auto
    Speedo in km’s
    Marked as Imported on Greenlight (Donedeal)
    Radio swapped for aftermarket one
    Japanese writing
    Square reg plate holder instead of rectangular one
    Wind deflectors

These would be the tell tail signs of a Jap Import car

• Advertisement

User1998 wrote: »
    Low mileage
    Auto
    Speedo in km’s
    Marked as Imported on Greenlight (Donedeal)
    Radio swapped for aftermarket one
    Japanese writing
    Square reg plate holder instead of rectangular one
    Wind deflectors

These would be the tell tail signs of a Jap Import car

All insights are auto

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wheelerdealer

I’m looking at buying a Japanese Import Toyota Pruis looking at 12-14 model prices vary depending on mileage. Have heard the insurance is more expensive. Also looking at Insights would prefer the Prius for the bigger engine. Any advice? Or stay clear?

I’m looking at buying a Japanese Import Toyota Pruis looking at 12-14 model prices vary depending on mileage. Have heard the insurance is more expensive. Also looking at Insights would prefer the Prius for the bigger engine. Any advice? Or stay clear?

Read above,,, insurance no prob I'm with liberty,3rd jap import, for overall value an insight,for prestige and more car Prius,both are bullet proof,some 12 insights have the coil problem( I haven't) go to an importer who's at it a long time ( Declan Gill Santry,for one) who won't sell you a dud, give you a good warranty and is decent,I'm in Cork but for value and warranty ref imported jap cars Dub/ Leinster has more choice ,and ref trade in I got double what I was offered locally

Advertisement