Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering (Mature Applicant)

Options
  • 31-01-2020 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

LSS, I’ll be 24 when I go to college as a mature applicant.
    Provided I have the leaving cert points that I need for engineering, will I be guaranteed a place in the college I’m applying for like those of under 23?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

fakharon wrote: »
    LSS, I’ll be 24 when I go to college as a mature applicant.
    Provided I have the leaving cert points that I need for engineering, will I be guaranteed a place in the college I’m applying for like those of under 23?

If your applying as a Mature Student, it does give you the option to put in your LC details if you have them. But they don't go by points at all really. It’s actually not uncommon for mature students to not have a leaving cert at all. Hence why they are going back into education.

For engineering they will just look to see do you have the level of maths they require, which for example in TCD is a H4. (Which is a C2/C1 at higher level in old money).

The Mature Student application is done more holistically. An admissions officer or staff member for the course your applying to actually reads your application, where they look at your educational and work experience, and personal statement. It’s not done by computerised point system.

Depending on where you apply, every course and college does this differently. But after you apply you will be either be called for interview or entrance exam or both, or given an offer (conditional or unconditional), or rejected straight away. If you get an interview/get the required entrance exam grade that does not guarantee a place either as there may be more applicants, then places.

This can be said for most courses these days, but you have to remember for the likes of engineering you may be up against people who have done college access courses, preparation courses and level 5 to 7 maths/science courses etc. There are also mature students who are getting second degrees. So just having a leaving cert does not guarantee you a place at all. It will depend on who and how many others apply.

No matter your age you can apply as a traditional applicant just based on points. If you have points that are high enough that there is no way you won’t get a place, then that might be an option for you. But you are also entitled to apply as a mature student and you’re life experience might make you more a competitive applicant. Either way both routes have their risks and advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 fakharon

DeeAvery wrote: »
    If your applying as a Mature Student, it does give you the option to put in your LC details if you have them. But they don't go by points at all really. It’s actually not uncommon for mature students to not have a leaving cert at all. Hence why they are going back into education.

For engineering they will just look to see do you have the level of maths they require, which for example in TCD is a H4. (Which is a C2/C1 at higher level in old money).

The Mature Student application is done more holistically. An admissions officer or staff member for the course your applying to actually reads your application, where they look at your educational and work experience, and personal statement. It’s not done by computerised point system.

Depending on where you apply, every course and college does this differently. But after you apply you will be either be called for interview or entrance exam or both, or given an offer (conditional or unconditional), or rejected straight away. If you get an interview/get the required entrance exam grade that does not guarantee a place either as there may be more applicants, then places.

This can be said for most courses these days, but you have to remember for the likes of engineering you may be up against people who have done college access courses, preparation courses and level 5 to 7 maths/science courses etc. There are also mature students who are getting second degrees. So just having a leaving cert does not guarantee you a place at all. It will depend on who and how many others apply.

No matter your age you can apply as a traditional applicant just based on points. If you have points that are high enough that there is no way you won’t get a place, then that might be an option for you. But you are also entitled to apply as a mature student and you’re life experience might make you more a competitive applicant. Either way both routes have their risks and advantages.

Thank you for replying.
    One question, is there an option for mature students to apply as traditional students in the CAO of today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Talk to the college directly. They will have an access / mature student officer you can talk to.
    When type of engineering and where are you thinking of doing it.

Advertisement