Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive to Mechanical Timer wiring

Options
  • 31-01-2020 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I have an oil boiler with no thermostat, just an old mechanical timer. Want to replace the timer with my hive receiver. Just not 100% on the wiring so any advice appreciated

Here is the existing wiring:

2020-01-31-16-49-33.jpg

Here is the Hive:

2020-01-31-16-50-05.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So N is neutral in, L is live in and 1 to 4 is the switched live.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

The Hive is as follows:

N = Permanant Neutral
    L = Permanant Live
    1 = Common
    2 = Heating Off (NC)
    3 = Heating On (NO)
    4 = Unused

So:

Old 1 to New N
    Old 2 to New L
    Old 3 to ??
    Old 4 to ??

Do I still need link between 2 & 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The yellow cable goes to boiler, the linked out brown is your live. The hive is simply just a fancy switch.

Can you post the hive pic, I've used others but not that.

You link the L into the common and then the yellow becomes live and turns boiler on when requested.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

So Hive:

All blues to Neutral
    All Browns to Live
    All yellows to 3
    a link wire then between L and 1 (to make it a 240v switch)

First power up and pairing:
    When ready to power up, make sure your Hive hub has a flashing orange light first (i.e. looking for Hive products to link to)
    The power up the receiver, it will 'double flash orange' (i.e. looking for the Hub)
    Once it moves to 'single flash orange' it has acquired the hub and now looking for the thermostat
    Put batteries in the stat, and eventually the receiver will turn 'solid green light' and the stat will bring you through a welcome screen (all good to go)

Then download the hive app, and register, when finished it will look for the 'Hub ID' 6 letters/gigits on the underside of you hub, once you enter them, then you all setup on your app (other users in your house just need to username and password you created to log into app)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Robertr wrote: »
    The Hive is as follows:

N = Permanant Neutral
    L = Permanant Live
    1 = Common
    2 = Heating Off (NC)
    3 = Heating On (NO)
    4 = Unused

So:

Old 1 to New N
    Old 2 to New L
    Old 3 to ??
    Old 4 to ??

Do I still need link between 2 & 3?

Old 1 to N
    Old 2 to L

Old 3 to 1 ( This is Hive Common and old 3 is already linked to L so its just a
    matter of Old 3 to 1)

Old 4 to 3 (This is the output to switch on heat)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Thanks all, all setup a working great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bungeebutt

I have followed the steps above too. I have a mechanical timer with no thermostat, single receiver. Have purchased hive. My existing mechanical system only has three wires coming out - 2 brown and 1 blue.

When I put the blue wire to neutral, the brown (live in) wire to L and the brown (live out) to 3, the heating won't turn on. When I put both brown wires to L and blue to N it does come on but won't turn off. What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gallagbr

Hi, how did this go for you? I have the same setup

Advertisement