Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Housing estate boundary wall

Options
  • 31-01-2020 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Have done internet searches, tried Local Council and T. D etc Looking for help without any luck so any advise will be appreciated

There is a wall between our private housing estate and the next private estate.

This wall was built when our estate was built 10 years aprx BEFORE the next estate was built.

The wall runs along a private back garden on the NEWER estate side and borders a public path and road in Council care on our side.

The wall has been demolished by the council over a significant safety concern.

The council have left the site wide open. Towm Engineer contends that as the wall runs adjacent to private property, it is now a private matter to build a new wall.
    HISTORICALLY our Council have added two lines of blocks to that wall and also painted it. I think this indicates they took wall into care (estate is definitely in council care)

The neighbour who owns the property in next estate refuses to engage on any level and wont answer the door or reply to letters even from neighbours.

Demolition of this wall has seen a significant increase in anti social and suspicious activity.
    With wall down there is perfect cover through multiple routes into back gardens.
    There has been a burglary, interference with cars and sheds and multiple sightings of strangers passing through gardens at night

There is also a dangerous shed right on the boundary that is collapsing, has huge broken glass panes etc. I am certain it will fall in next storms.

Question one : Is this really a private matter?

Question two: If it is a private matter, is it not the Councils responsibility to enforce compliance regarding safety? Particularly as we as private citizens cannot force anyone to engage in resolving this.

THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

From your description, it's the householder in the newer estate whose garden, previoulsy bounded by the wall, has been left exposed and open.

The householders in the older estate have gardens which border on a public path and road in charge of the Council, and whatever walls or fences have been erected between their gardens and the path/road are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coldcut

Peregrinus wrote: »
    From your description, it's the householder in the newer estate whose garden, previoulsy bounded by the wall, has been left exposed and open.

The householders in the older estate have gardens which border on a public path and road in charge of the Council, and whatever walls or fences have been erected between their gardens and the path/road are still in place.

Yes, that is correct.
    Thanks for answering.
    (p. s I just realised I replied from family computer earlier and another boards user was logged in, that is why earlier reply deleted)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Then I'm not sure what the problem is.

You say:
    Coldcut wrote: »
    . . . With wall down there is perfect cover through multiple routes into back gardens.
    I don't see how this is. The older estate's gardens back on to a pathway and a road, both accessible to the public, presumably from either end. All that has changed is that there is now a theoretica; new access point to the path/road, for people coming through the garden of one of the properties in the new estate on the other side of the road/ptach, but given that the path/road is public I struggle to see (a) that this provide access to many people who don't already have access, or (b) that there are any good grounds for objecting to the provision of access to a public road/path.

If your concern is people coming from the road/path into your garden, you need to look to your own boundary fences, not the boundary fences of other properties.

Advertisement