Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used lens wipes on projector glass as per manufacturer advice, now it's destroyed.

Options
  • 31-01-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I have an LG projector, and the LG website said that if you are using cleaning products, only use lens cleaning products to clean the lens.

The exact words are: "If you want to use cleaning liquid, do not spray directly to the lens. Spray it to cleaning paper or microfiber cloth and wipe with it. You must use cleaning supplies exclusively for lens."

Which is exactly what I did.

The how to guide is here (note, you need to enable cookies to see the guidance for some reason): https://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008397-20150157380895-others

I went and got some lens wipes (for camera lenses etc.) and cleaned dirt off the lens. Now there's what looks like a layer removed from the center of the lens. The picture is a bit foggy / soft, and blacks aren't as black anymore.

I bought this projector brand new a few months ago. It comes with 36 months parts / labor warranty. I basically followed LG's instructions and destroyed the lens.

I gave them a call and they said it won't be covered.

What they said was the instructions in the link do not say that I MUST use lens cleaning products. It only says that if I do use cleaning products, they should be for lenses only. It basically boiled down to: "well we didn't put a gun to your head and make you do it, so we won't cover it".

They then referenced the user manual where it says not to use cleaning products. So what the website says and what the manual says contradict eachother. I know I should have read the manual first, but then again, why wouldn't I trust the official product page on the LG website? I thought I was getting good advice.

Do I have any options at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Alkers

The link doesn't show any guidance for me, just an option to share or give feedback - make sue you save a copy of what you followed as a reference.

Are you sure the projector is damaged? Can you clean it now as per the manual and see if that improves things?

If it is, I would write to the manufacturer laying out your case and then if you don't get anywhere with the manufacturer, I would lodge a case with the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Who did you buy it from? You need to approach them first, they are the ones you have a contract with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Alkers wrote: »
    The link doesn't show any guidance for me, just an option to share or give feedback - make sue you save a copy of what you followed as a reference.

Are you sure the projector is damaged? Can you clean it now as per the manual and see if that improves things?

If it is, I would write to the manufacturer laying out your case and then if you don't get anywhere with the manufacturer, I would lodge a case with the small claims court.

I'm sure it's damaged. It looks like the lens cleaning products took some "skin" off the lens.

For some reason you have to enable cookies to see the guidance. I've attached a screenshot anyway.

Diziet wrote: »
    Who did you buy it from? You need to approach them first, they are the ones you have a contract with.

Currys UK

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It says don't rub too hard, which is exactly what they will claim you did. Bit of a balls, alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

What is this film that they put on projector lenses that is so sensitive to getting wiped?
    Seems strange that it is so delicate. But if you have used Lens wipes as directed then your surely have a case against them.

What is this film that they put on projector lenses that is so sensitive to getting wiped?
    Seems strange that it is so delicate. But if you have used Lens wipes as directed then your surely have a case against them.

What they said is because I wasn't directed to use the lens wipes they are not liable. They only suggested it, they didn't put a gun to my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What they said is because I wasn't directed to use the lens wipes they are not liable. They only suggested it, they didn't put a gun to my head.

Are you sure it won’t rub off? I wear glasses, if I use a wipe to clean them it can leave a film when the alcohol on the wipe evaporates.

I suppose their argument is, it was fine until you went at it and it’s not a manufacturing defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm sure it's damaged. It looks like the lens cleaning products took some "skin" off the lens.

For some reason you have to enable cookies to see the guidance. I've attached a screenshot anyway.

It says in that to "wipe gently with a soft cotton flannel in one direction" to clean the lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

It doesn't say anything about using wipes, I'd imagine wipes would have a lot more solution on them compared to a spray on a cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

guil wrote: »
    It doesn't say anything about using wipes, I'd imagine wipes would have a lot more solution on them compared to a spray on a cloth.

I use LIDL Micellar cleansing water and a recycled wipe to clean all my delicate glass surfaces - costs next to nothing

guil wrote: »

What if you sprayed 6 litres of solution into a cloth? It doesn't say how much solution to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What if you sprayed 6 litres of solution into a cloth? It doesn't say how much solution to use.

Common sense suggests a light spray on a cloth to clean any lens. It should never be saturated.

Advertisement