Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are B+Gs very upset if someone says no thanks in RSVP?

Options
  • 31-01-2020 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondered how to decline an invitation so that it won't hurt anyone.

The venue is not easy for us.... two hour drive, and also has no rooms to stay in either, so we have to decamp to another hotel about fifteen minutes away. So leave the car in the venue, get a taxi to another hotel, and rinse and repeat. Might not be a problem for the young ones, but honestly it's not for us at all.

Anyway I doubt we will go, and to be perfectly honest I doubt we will be missed either!

Just wondered how to say it!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Simple as saying thanks for the kind invitation but unfortunately you are unable to attend.

B&g just want a response.

They hate those who don't respond until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

They'll be fine . Generally for the wrinkliez if they really want you they will have saved a room for you (which you'll have to pay for).

So just say thanks but no thanks . Unless you actually want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Their other daughter got married three years ago in an out of the way place too, and we declined because we were going to be abroad anyway.

Maybe it might be easier to balance it out with another decline for daughter no. 2.

Thanks for the heads up about declining quickly, they will surely find others who will fit the bill. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely of them to invite us, but just trying to find a nice and kind way of saying sorry. I should be better than this! They won't care in the long run really.

Plan to give a decent wedding money present as if we were guests just like we gave to daughter no 1!

Thanks for replies. If it makes a difference it our next door neighbour. But the children have been gone for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭This is it

Thanks but no thanks, you won't be the only one, not a big deal.

I know, but it can be a bit easier if you do not live next door to the neighbours/parents of the soon to be married. So close.

I am overthinking this. They won't care about us as long as we wish them well and let them at it I suppose!

AND decline in time for the B+G to add two others on to their list!

It just seems a bit close if you get me!

Not going. They will not miss me at all. Have to remember that! Oh God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Over thinking . Just give 100 euros to help the little kid from next door and forget it . You wouldn't enjoy it any way .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭This is it

They could be secretly happy you're not going, who knows! Like you said, you won't be missed.

Over thinking . Just give 100 euros to help the little kid from next door and forget it . You wouldn't enjoy it any way .

Dread it more like, will know no one apart from the parents :rolleyes:

It is how to say it is the issue. But I will come up with something. And wondered as in OP if the B+G would be offended by our decline. I doubt it now!

I am a Guestzilla lol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Darc19 wrote: »
    Simple as saying thanks for the kind invitation but unfortunately you are unable to attend.

B&g just want a response.

They hate those who don't respond until the last minute.

This! They just want a yes or a no, and sooner rather than later. They won't be offended if you say no and there is no need for excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree

I will be honest with you and not to be cruel in anyway but your decline could mean more to them than your acceptance. If the numbers are tight then they have more than likely extended you an invitation in their parents behalf.

Agreed with RSVP timely and then I wouldn't even worry after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'm sending out invites to my wedding now and all I expect back is a Yes or a No, if people can't make it then that's fine. I certainly don't expect them to explain themselves, it's none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They won’t care, just say unfortunately we can’t make it but wish you well. As has been said send it back quick though.
    We had 2 or 3 turn down invitations and we didn’t bat an eyelid. People have lives.
    Just to add if the rsvp just has a tick box stick a polite sentence on the back apologising but don’t make up any rubbish just that you can’t make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Most couples expect a certain number of guests to decline. You’re probably only invited because the parents wanted you to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The people who annoyed us were the ones who kept asking if they could bring their child, or the ones who didn't turn up on the day despite rsvping that they'd come,or the ones who didn't reply at all and we had to chase them. We didn't mind if someone couldn't go, that's life.

Replies are very reassuring. We are declining.

Would be easier if we didn't have to see the next door neighbour parents every day though!

But I doubt they care much either, with two other invited guests available for their daughter's "maybe list" Just saying.

I suppose you gotta please yourself at the end of the day and not feel guilty either, but it is ingrained in Irish psyche re weddings. AAArgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

A reply with "Sorry we won't be there to enjoy your wedding, we hope you have a great day. Best wishes for the future"

"Won't" rather than "can't" eliminating any white lies ;)

Advertisement