Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work be a lady tonight

Options
  • 30-01-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

We are sending out our invitations in the next couple of weeks.

The question about work invites is the new head scratching issue.

I work across two teams equal share of the month. One team I get on far better with as a whole. There is cross over between the two teams with some members of staff during the month cycle also.

I have three people who I would count as friends, would meet up with outside of work / would keep in contact with if I did not work in this job.

I was planning on inviting them only, however, when I mention that to one of them they said it would be a bad idea in terms of the wider team, that people would take offence, and they wouldn't if they were not invited as they understand the politics.

There are certain people I 100% do not want at my wedding, and if I wasn't obligated to work with them I would never share time with.

So they question:

Invite three and deal with potential fall out, is it worth it?

Invite all the team and have people I quite dislike come?

Invite no work colleagues?

Do a blanket afters invite and sure I will by that point be too well on it and enjoying myself to care if the annoying one come?

Work be a lady tonight 32 votes

Invite 3 work friends and deal with potential fallout of not inviting the others
    75% 24 votes
    Invite no one from work
    21% 7 votes
    Do a blanket evening invitation including colleagues I do not get on with
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Invite the people you want and to hell with whatever people say behind your back. Life is short and you only (usually) get one wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Invite who want , its your wedding. People overthink this generally. Most people wouldnt be bothered if they werent invited to a colleagues wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Invite who you want , its your wedding. People overthink this generally. Most people wouldnt be bothered if they werent invited to a colleagues wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Another vote for "invite who you like". In fairness, anyone who isn't invited shouldn't be upset as they know the status of your relationship. I have had colleagues not invite me to their wedding but it was never a shock as I knew we weren't friends. I only invited 3 of my work colleagues to my wedding (people I had become friends with) and had an open invite for the afters. If there was any disgruntlement I never heard any, nor would I have cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree

"had an open invite for the afters."

Did many people take you up on the afters invite? My other half reckons people are insulted by afters invites, personally I think its the best part to be invited to:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Invite who you want. If someone gets offended over it then it's the correct decision not to invite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

TomTree wrote: »
    "had an open invite for the afters."

Did many people take you up on the afters invite? My other half reckons people are insulted by afters invites, personally I think its the best part to be invited to:)

Nope, nobody from work came to the afters. But I was only being polite anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

If a colleague gets married, I would only be upset if we were on friendly terms and I was the *only one* not invited. If one of my work mates invites only a few people from work, I would be completely fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I only invited 3 people i worked with to wedding, my wife invited 2 people she worked with. You don't owe anyone an invite or explanation why you didn't invite them. None their business.

If this brings you peace of mind on your wedding day then do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

victor8600 wrote: »
    If a colleague gets married, I would only be upset if we were on friendly terms and I was the *only one* not invited. If one of my work mates invites only a few people from work, I would be completely fine with that.

This. If it's 3 of 20 then drive on. If it was 3 of 4 then it's a bit messy but it's your day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TomTree

looks like a pretty clear majority on the poll, no one experience had sort of fallout at work in relation to invitation. I know one should just invite who they want but there is an unfortunate politics attached to these things.

Advertisement