Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16 month old extremely advanced speech

• 29-01-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

fI first noticed when she had just turned 1, She began counting from1-10. At first I thought it was just the sequence she has learnt but after a little while I noticed she would recognise the numbers on their own. She is now 16 months and can count backwards from 10. She is also doing ABCs. Since she was 14ms. Sings the song and recognising letters jumbled up. She is crystal clear. It's beginning to scare me how advanced she is. She knows all the shapes even oval and diamond. She sings along to all the nursery rhymes. She even calls ALEXA!!! Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Check all over for numeric birthmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Is "she" your kid? And no, I haven't experienced this. My kids are as thick as s**t. Very low IQ. They're members of DENSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kmama

pawdee wrote: »
    Is "she" your kid? And no, I haven't experienced this. My kids are as thick as s**t. Very low IQ. They're members of DENSA.
    Yes she's mine. Oh god that is very harsh! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am the OPs baby and can confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Sono

What a bizarre thread, complete bull****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Kmama wrote: »
    fI first noticed when she had just turned 1, She began counting from1-10. At first I thought it was just the sequence she has learnt but after a little while I noticed she would recognise the numbers on their own. She is now 16 months and can count backwards from 10. She is also doing ABCs. Since she was 14ms. Sings the song and recognising letters jumbled up. She is crystal clear. It's beginning to scare me how advanced she is. She knows all the shapes even oval and diamond. She sings along to all the nursery rhymes. She even calls ALEXA!!! Has anyone else experienced this?

She sounds very advanced !

Is she cute?

Actually OP she is advanced but not bizarrely so for a firstborn girl !

Look after her Ireland needs all the brains we can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Did you just come on here to.boast!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Wesser wrote: »
    Did you just come on here to.boast!!!!

No harm in it!

Clever hen clever egg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Don't give it a thought. My eldest girl never spoke properly til she was almost 4.
    Middle one came along and was was waffling at 1. She went for a development check at about 18 months and the nurse said to my wife that she will be starting to put 2 and 3 word sentences together. The little one piped up with "what's the woman saying mammy".
    Youngest one was a late talker and walker.

They all move at their own pace but they all get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

It's possible that she is quite clever - exactly how clever is anohter matter and will take some time for experts to work out.

In the meantime, I suggest that she is meeting as many other kids her own age as possible - social skills

and get her involved in lots of physical activities as well. Get her throwing/catching a tennis ball, swinging a hurley, kicking a ball, swimming, toddler athletics...it doesn't matter, but team sports are best.

A) Sport is good for kids - healthy.

B) Helps develop social skills - as important as intelligence nowadays!

Hope she grows up to be happy, healthy, well-adjusted and knows that trying her best is the most important thing - having great friends is a close second...IMO!

• Advertisement

She sounds very advanced !

Is she cute?

Actually OP she is advanced but not bizarrely so for a firstborn girl !

Look after her Ireland needs all the brains we can get!

She is very cute, but of course I'm biased!! She is my first so it's all new to me.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Don't give it a thought. My eldest girl never spoke properly til she was almost 4.
    Middle one came along and was was waffling at 1. She went for a development check at about 18 months and the nurse said to my wife that she will be starting to put 2 and 3 word sentences together. The little one piped up with "what's the woman saying mammy".
    Youngest one was a late talker and walker.

They all move at their own pace but they all get there.

Great to hear from another parent. That's crazy. I guess every kid is different. That's the approach I want to take, to just let her do her thing. I have to remember she is still only a little baby.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I see a cleaning job in Trinity in her future...

blindsider wrote: »
    It's possible that she is quite clever - exactly how clever is anohter matter and will take some time for experts to work out.

In the meantime, I suggest that she is meeting as many other kids her own age as possible - social skills

and get her involved in lots of physical activities as well. Get her throwing/catching a tennis ball, swinging a hurley, kicking a ball, swimming, toddler athletics...it doesn't matter, but team sports are best.

Hope she grows up to be happy, healthy, well-adjusted and knows that trying her best is the most important thing - having great friends is a close second...IMO!

That's great advice. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Could she have autism???

Also a reason for my post. I am worried it could be something like this. However she is very social and has a great attention span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My daughter just predicted this week's winning lottery in her nappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

blindsider wrote: »

She's 16 months. Sports?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes my eldest was quite like this.

I view it as she just has other things to work on.She struggles much more with emotional regulation than her younger siblings (you would start to notice that as they head for 2 and 3).Doesn't know when-or how, almost- to stop when she is overdone, the tireder she gets, the more she will run and run and run.She is 5 now, it's only in the last year or so that she is a bit calmer, more even.But still, we have our days.Also the full moon has a profound effect on her and not on my other 2 which is just....weird.

It is great OP, but it's not everything I suppose.As we have headed for school, I have realised I can help her with the school stuff, there are tried and tested ways to help with letters and numbers and all that stuff (none of which she needs, the tescher recognises she is very bright).....but the other stuff, the coping when someone says no, or when they can't have the toy the other child has, or having to take their turn at doing or saying something...I find that harder to work on and it is all just time.That stuff concerned me more when she was going into school than would she able for the work.It is all very dependent on the child, another parent wouldn't have a thought about whether their child could get through the first few weeks of school without losing the plot totally when they were hungry, but would worry about whether they could handle the work.Swings and roundabouts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Maybe up until now the strudel has been less than satisfactory .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

My little one was like this. Think its just some kids learn quicker if they're interested! Especially if they are first born child and get undivided one on one time with adults. My daughter was around a lot of adults who spoke with her constantly, so she just naturally picked up on vocabulary. She also started in a creche very young so she had interactions with other kids and learned through play/song with them, which again just helped her pick up all that stuff naturally.

My daughter is still a keen learner, its just how she is, naturally takes an interest in learning, so she does well in school etc. Never did anything special or worried about it. All kids are different and learn at their own pace. Once she is healthy and happy.

In terms of the autism comments (think the post was deleted, but your own post re it being a concern is still up), if there is a genuine concern there, speak to your PHN or GP, but generally speaking, there are many kids who enjoy learning songs and words and numbers and it is not an indicatior of autism. I'd actually be more concerned if there was a delay in terms of verbal communication etc., rather than being advanced in that area, but again, seek professional advice if that is a genuine concern for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seeing as we can boast about kids, can we boast about ourselves?
    I was this baby! I could talk clearly, recite poems, sing songs etc by the time I was 14months. In 1980s Ireland it earned you a trip to the paediatrician. There's a video and my grandad kept tape recordings of me and they're quite cool!

I turned out pretty damn average enough though.
    Life stiffled my genius? who knows. :)

I say keep videos for her of her saying all sorts! Best case scenario she's a genius, worst case she's a bright kids who'll have fun watching that in years to come. Read and chat to her lots, don't force anything just keep her stimulated and she'll find her way. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

My cousin is like that. It was so funny to hear her talking in full clear sentences while she was still in my aunt's arms. She is in her 20's now, got a university degree and teaches foreign languages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Kmama wrote: »

My son was like this, singing full nursery rhymes at 14 mths, talking full sentences etc. He's going 6 soon.

In Montessori he gave his teacher a hard time for not giving him home work so he would do his bothers home work after him at night (jnf inf at the time). His teacher put together a box just for him of things to do when he finished his work ahead of the others.

Jnf Inf now they are started sending him into the snr inf class to pick out books for home work, he's starting other snr inf work. He has a borderline photographic memory (Ive seen him recite his home work reader after reading it once) and a conversational vocab that surprises most adults. Once he is 6 we will go for CTYI assessment and we will see from there.

I'd echo other comments about emotions and energy. He wares his heart on his sleeve and he is like an energiser bunny bouncing around the place half the time. He will over try socially and we have ground him a bit. He could easily be in snr inf academically but socially I think he needs the time.

At 16mths you can just continue to support her learning, do loads of reading with her. Ive seen other kids who were very advanced at thats stage who even out by school time so just keep an eye on things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rew wrote: »

I'd echo other comments about emotions and energy. He wares his heart on his sleeve and he is like an energiser bunny bouncing around the place half the time. He will over try socially and we have ground him a bit. He could easily be in snr inf academically but socially I think he needs the time.

This is very similar to our eldest.Massive amounts of energy, we have to watch her and extract from situations, although she is getting better at recognising when she is overdone.It can be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Actually I’d be like the OP and want to know what to keep an eye on. It could be a sign of an issue down the line or not. There’s a lot to be said for being average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son who is 7 would have been like this, we are currently on a waiting list to have him assessed for ADHD Inattentive.
    He is a sponge when it comes to information and has tested high & above average on MICRA-T & SIGMA-T literacy and Maths tests and his long term memory is amazing but ask him to do 2 things at the same time and he will inevitably forget one. He is unorganised, his teacher says his desk looks like a bomb hit it with books & pencils and he doesn't register that every day in school for instance they do Maths after English so all the other kids know to take out their Maths book when they put their English book away whereas my son will need to be promoted everytime.
    Intelligence is very subjective I think and as someone said there is alot to be said for being average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I started to read at 2 according to my mother. Don't think she's boasting as my siblings couldn't. I was reading newspapers before I started school, that much I vaguely remember.
    There was a particular dinosaur I was mad about and I was able to spell it before starting school too, this has been verified by my dad and by aunts and uncles.

It was micropachycephalosaurus. 23 letter word.

My mam got some intelligence tests done on me in early primary school. The other kids were just learning the alphabet at that stage. The gap did close of course but I would have still been top of class through secondary school, University and professional exams I've done.

I got 485 points in leaving without studying, a 2:1 primary degree without studying and a 1:1 masters degree which I did work hard for to be fair.

I have loads of friends who are primary teachers and they don't believe me about the reading newspapers and certainly don't about the 23 letter dinosaur name.

I'd be well known to be intelligent now and as a problem solver in work. Which is actually a bit of a pain at times as people give me stuff when they get stuck. Can do most computations in my head quicker than on a calculator.

I'm mid 30s now. Just thought I'd share. I developed early but it doesn't mean anything is wrong, I'm not on any spectrum or anything. Played sports, met loads of women, got into mischief, hung with the popular crowd.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

That’s great OP. Wonder about it and chat with your public health nurse but enjoy it too :D
    One year olds are so much fun - it must be nice to have a verbal conversation with them😊

Lots of 2 year old tantrums are caused by lack of understanding and lack of their words to express themselves so perhaps you might miss out some of that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement