Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Saddle

Options
  • 29-01-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am about to undertake my first bikepack this weekend and a friend has kindly let me use their bike.

I have taken it for a few little spins but find I am struggling to get comfortable on the saddle. There is just nothing to the saddle.

Need a quick solution before this weekend. Happy to buy a cushion or not too expensive saddle. . . . . Please help??

TDM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hi all,

I am about to undertake my first bikepack this weekend and a friend has kindly let me use their bike.

I have taken it for a few little spins but find I am struggling to get comfortable on the saddle. There is just nothing to the saddle.

Need a quick solution before this weekend. Happy to buy a cushion or not too expensive saddle. . . . . Please help??

TDM

I should preface this by saying I haven't bikepacked before so I'm not totally sure on the equipment you bring, but do you wear padded shorts/bib while on the bike?

I did use the padded covers when I originally started cycling but didn't find them much use, then again, they are very cheap and wouldnt take up much pack space so you could always buy one and try it out.

Personally I think a lot of the saddle comfort comes from getting one that fits you more than anything (well that and miles), that being said, stuff like the Brooks saddles get reviewed well for being very comfortable and they can be gotten for reasonable prices S/H on places like Adverts. Other people find the triathlon style short saddles work for being comfortable

If you find your getting pressure at certain points when you sit, try moving the saddle forwards or backwards on the rails, or even try tilting it nose up or down. I found the ideal setup for me was not moving the saddle back or forward, but just tilting the nose down very slightly!

Hope this at least gives you some ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

Hi all,

TDM

You can try AGU. Quite good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recommending a saddle is not an easy task, it depends on your body shape.
    you will also find it uncomfortable going from not having cycled much, to doing a decent amount of cycling, if that's the situation you're in.

what part of the world are you in? it'll be a short enough bikepacking trip if you're in ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you wearing proper cycling (padded) shorts or sitting in regular clothes on a modern saddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

If you're only cycling 5km your arse is hardly likely to get sore. I'd just stick with what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 on padded shorts!

Also, check the saddle is level
    Check the saddle is not too narrow for your sit bones
    Check the saddle height...shouldn't be too high or too low
    Check the handlebars are at the right height

Finally as it's a borrowed bike...is the bike the right size for you?

A sore ass doesn't automatically mean the saddle is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If you're only cycling 5km your arse is hardly likely to get sore. I'd just stick with what you have.

The OP is from the halcyon days of the distant past, when Covid was something that happened in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Breezer wrote: »
    The OP is from the halcyon days of the distant past, when Covid was something that happened in China.

Of course, it's entirely possible he's actually in China, and not subject to a 5km restriction like the rest of us.

Advertisement