Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciampino Taxi Drivers

Options
  • 29-01-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

How bad is it trying to get the flat-rate €30 taxi fare from Ciampino to the centre of Rome? We're staying near Piazza Navona and it seems to make more sense to get a taxi straight there rather than the Terravision bus to Termini then a taxi from there. However many accounts say it's hard to get a white taxi from the airport at all and even if you do you'll get hassled/scammed.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're staying at the centre they can only charge you €30

From Ciampino Airport to within the Aurelian Walls and vice versa: € 30.00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Yup I know that is the official policy, but it also seems more often than not that there are no taxis there willing to take the flat-rate fare or if they do, start arguing with you. (Plenty of newspaper articles on this including this one only today). So just wondering from people who flown thru there is it really that common and should I just book Terravision in advance,

https://www.farodiroma.it/aeroporto-di-ciampino-finalmente-8-000-euro-di-sanzioni-a-taxi-e-ncc-denunciato-un-noleggiatore-speriamo-si-sveglino-anche-i-vigili-di-via-conciliazione/

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I'd read enough about the potential hassle to just book a reputable private transfer, we were arriving late, after dark, for the sake of an extra few euro, we were staying just off Piazza Della Rotonda.
    We did get a taxi from there back to airport, no issues, €30

We used https://www.romecabs.com/ for the transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dennyk

That's the law, but the reality is that none of 'em will do it for €30. They'll tell you it costs more because you have luggage, or they have to run the meter because it's a holiday or because there's a protest and the roads are closed, or blah blah blah. If you get a really ****e one, they won't let on that they're scamming you until you're in the car and on your way, and if you protest at that point, you'll be out on your ass on the shoulder of the SS7 somewhere, maybe without whatever bags you put in the trunk. All the drivers are in cahoots, as well, so don't expect the next guy in line to do it either (not that he'd take you at all regardless; all the cabbies know what happens to drivers who try jumping the queue...).

It's basically like that everywhere in Rome. Had to take several cabs there on a recent trip due to a traveling companion's mobility issues, and five out of the six drivers we had tried to scam us.

We took a few taxis from different ranks during our stay, in fairness none of them ripped us off but I just wouldn’t bother taking one from Ciampino

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Not a hope they will take you, I spent an hour trying about a dozen of them but they all just laughed. I think in the end I persuaded one to do it for 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

We landed there last Saturday morning about 10.30. Walked to first taxi in rank and told him hotel which was near pantheon. Then asked for confirmation that it was 30euro and he agreed. For going back to airport went to taxi rank near hotel and again confirmed it would be 30euro and he agreed.

Ended up giving both a 5euro tip but that was just a choice. No hassle from drivers at all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find it easy to get 30 euro taxis to and from Navona.
    Just have 30 in your pocket and hand it over when the fare is finished.
    Maybe a couple euro tip, if you like.

It's 30 to anywhere inside the walls, don't let them trick you into anything else.

taxi-fare-from-fiumicino-airport-to-rome-city-centre.jpg?quality=100.3018113015540

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

I think there is a rate sheet on display in taxis, point to it, if there is any "hassle"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

darced wrote: »
    Not a hope they will take you, I spent an hour trying about a dozen of them but they all just laughed. I think in the end I persuaded one to do it for 55 euro.

Just wondering why it was so bad - was this at a particular late or early time? Where in Rome were you going?

P.

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    I think there is a rate sheet on display in taxis, point to it, if there is any "hassle"

It’s Large & located on the outside of the taxi, from memory on both driver and passenger sides, the problem is that some drivers just don’t observe or accept the official price & try to screw the tourists & the drivers back each other, don’t think the police are interested either,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Terravision bus is so simple to use and brings you right into Termini station. I wouldn’t think of getting a taxi

Gael23 wrote: »
    The Terravision bus is so simple to use and brings you right into Termini station. I wouldn’t think of getting a taxi

It's a good budget option for sure, extremely popular and usually has some long que's...

I'd only consider a taxi if i arrived after dark and didn't have a clue where I was going and had heavy luggage...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

If your travelling on your own the bus makes sense for sure but for me there were 2 travelling together and our hotel was 20 min walk to station which wouldn't be easy with bags. For a few euro more it made life much easier and saved a good bit of time which I found important on a short weekend stay

AFK123 wrote: »
    If your travelling on your own the bus makes sense for sure but for me there were 2 travelling together and our hotel was 20 min walk to station which wouldn't be easy with bags. For a few euro more it made life much easier and saved a good bit of time which I found important on a short weekend stay

Though I have to say, of all the cities in the world where a 20 mins walk might seem like a hassle, Rome isn't one of them if you're staying in the center...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It's a good budget option for sure, extremely popular and usually has some long que's...

I'd only consider a taxi if i arrived after dark and didn't have a clue where I was going and had heavy luggage...

There is another company that does a service to termini for the same price also. I can’t remember the name but if you don’t get a seat on Terravision you’ll get that one

Advertisement