Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phenergan now prescription-only?

Options
  • 29-01-2020 5:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

What was the reasoning for this? Last year I was able to get the tablets of x25 (25mg) Phenergan or the (100ml) bottle but now only the bottle is available but with less of the active ingredient and more expensive, €10.

Was this a money making move by the HPRA? It annoys me a bit because this is available OTC in other countries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Unfortunately there is a lot of abuse of Phenergan which lead to the tablets being reclassified.
    Everyone suffers because of a minority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

echo beach wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is a lot of abuse of Phenergan which lead to the tablets being reclassified.
    Everyone suffers because of a minority.

Well I know it's popular for potentiating opioids (codeine, morphine diamorphine/heroin) and even getting rid of the nausea.

It's a shame cause they really worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What was the reasoning for this? Last year I was able to get the tablets of x25 (25mg) Phenergan or the (100ml) bottle but now only the bottle is available but with less of the active ingredient and more expensive, €10.

Was this a money making move by the HPRA? It annoys me a bit because this is available OTC in other countries

Phenergan tablets have been prescription only for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Phenergan tablets have been prescription only for years.

Then why was I able to get it in a pharmacy at Drogheda? Must have been a mistake.

Then why was I able to get it in a pharmacy at Drogheda? Must have been a mistake.

You should not have been able to get it without prescription.
    I assure you, it is most definitely prescription only.

• Advertisement

There used to be a 10mg tablet, which I think might have been available without prescription.
    It’s gone off the market since 1999, though.

Advertisement